All Electric Brewing System with Steam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a steam generating brewery similar in many ways to what is being discussed. I used to use ADIO computer interface stuff but eventually switched to regular PIDs for simplicity. I switch the elements on and off in the steam generator to regulate the mash temperature. Works pretty well, and is very simple. I boil with gas mostly, and about 2000w of ac power. I get by on a 40A 240 circuit without trouble and can brew up to 30 gallon at a wack.

One thing that I swear by is the use of a instant water heater to boost household hot water to 170-180. I do not use a HLT at all. Very power intensive, but when it is on, you can kill power to the other elements in the system.

Producing steam is so cool for sanitation- Kill Everything, Quick no residue. I steam everything counter flow chiller kegs carboys lines you name it.

For steam pressure sensing, can't you use a thermocouple to get the temp, and convert to pressure using steam tables?

Sounds like an interesting project!

Has anyone figured out how to make a cheap steam jacketed boil kettle yet? You could eliminate the elements in the boil kettle and use a boiler for direct mash heat and to feed the kettle jacket.

Has anyone figured out how to make a cheap steam jacketed boil kettle yet? You could eliminate the elements in the boil kettle and use a boiler for direct mash heat and to feed the kettle jacket.

Yeah, that would be nice. I have no clue where to even start. Isn't this sorta like a double boiler, where the outer boiler is steam? Hard part would be getting it all to seal, I think.

I was merely trying to respond to the question posed about why our house was wired for two 200A breaker boxes when most of our appliances use natural gas. Your point is well taken and I'm glad to have all the people who are experts on these matters.

And I really appreciate your summary of what's going on in this thread (seriously). There's all sorts of very good information in this long, long thread, contributed by people who obviously have lots of expertise. However.

I have a basic understanding of electrical theory, I can do the E=IR stuff, but application is a whole other world. I understand the application as far as wiring 110 - 220V circuits, and have done on an odd-job basis for 40 years. Most of the rest of my knowledge of electrical applications runs more in the electronic direction, radio and some computer elements. When this (or another) discussion runs off in various directions about the design and construction of automatically controlled brewing setups, I'm pretty lost, and I suspect most of the potential readers of this thread are, too. It may be about equipment, but it's still a brewing forum.

On the other hand, I don't know what really could be done (other that what "whitehotdawn" has already attempted) to clarify and explain what's going on.

Back