Ales using Cascade AND Liberty hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Reaction score
Now my American cousins, this down under wonder needs advice and help. Want to do some American pale ales using the large amounts of Liberty and Cascade hops I have in my freezer. Without wanting to make a brew suitable only to chuck up and out, does anyone have any happy memories of marrying Liberty and Cascade into a semi decent drop ? Note, aimimg to APA style - can use the Liberty in wheat beers and have used Cascade - but why risk a brew if someone else has already done so ?

I have used them together and I liked it, I wish I could get some cascades to brew with. But I'm one of those hopheads going into withdraw symptoms. I would double check your IBU's in an online calculator to make sure you don't exceed your maximum tolerance.
If your not sure just add half and half for each of your additions, but I'm sure you have a favourite for flavour and aroma.

Always wanted to say "Thank you Big Kahuna" after watching all those surfing films in the sixties. Annette Funichello rocked when I was 12.

Not yet ever made or tasted a Cascade / Liberty mixture. Do you reckon a 50/50 mix is okay ? My concern is the cascade dominating the liberty.

Hop supply down here still okay (but wait for it!). Got 1kg of cascade, liberty and EKG in freezer for the next year's brewing so not worried (yet) of any shortages.

Try the a 50/50 mixture of both for 60 and 5 minute additions, and dry hop with the cascades. Since your going for a APA style, You'll be primarily pale malt with a bit of 40-60L Crystal malt for your color and a bit of a flavor addition. I prefer the 60, but thats just me.

Liberty and Cascades work very, very well together. That goes double in an APA. You can do late additions or dry hop with the Liberty, according to your taste. For availability and efficiency concerns, I recommend going with the higher-alpha hop for bittering, though.

TL

Back