Ale yeast used for Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlierose

Reaction score
I used a S-04 ale yeast for a very basic/simple recipe. It only consists of Pilsen light dry malt extract and Tettnanger hops. I used the ale yeast but was wondering if i can turn this in to a lager type/style brew by fermenting in lower temps. Any ideas?

The lower you ferment the cleaner it will be. S-04 is fairly neutral, and if everything goes well it will make a good beer, but I don't think it'll taste like a pilsner.

I'm about to use S-04 for a SMASH recipe and I was planning on fermenting at about 62 for 48 hours then letting it rise to around 68/69. I've heard this is a very clean and clear yeast. I'm looking forward to using it.

The lower you ferment the cleaner it will be. S-04 is fairly neutral, and if everything goes well it will make a good beer, but I don't think it'll taste like a pilsner.

I hope it turns out well. How low (temp) or high, should i ferment this brew in order to get the best flavour? I was hoping to be able to let it sit (ferment) in the fridge for a few weeks before bottling. But not sure if this will affect the yeast considering i did not use a lager type yeast.

I just cracked my first alesner - a classic American pilsner fermented with steam beer yeast at cooler temps.

It turned out well. Almost tastes like a true pilsner. Not quite as clean, but still good.

I ferment almost everything at 60*. Sometimes I'll go up to 64* if I'm feeling wild. Much lower than 60* and ale yeast gets bummed out. I've found if you start ferment a little warmer, and it gets a good kraeusen, you can go down to 55* or so with most ale yeast, but if you try to start at 55* the yeast will have a long lag period.

I just cracked my first alesner - a classic American pilsner fermented with steam beer yeast at cooler temps.

It turned out well. Almost tastes like a true pilsner. Not quite as clean, but still good.

I've got mine fermenting at 62. It's in the coolest and darkest place. I can't get the temp lower unless i turn the AC on. What temp. did you brew yours to get it to a Alesner?

S-04 is going to give you some fruitiness. It isn't really THAT clean, IMO, especially compared to, say US-05/WLP001.

If you have already pitched it I wouldn't jack down the temperature on it now, as you are more likely to stall the fermentation.

Back