Ale ? When can I put in fridge ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Ale style beer ?

How long do I need to keep at room temp before putting it into fridgeration temp .

If you are asking how long you should bottle condition at room temperature prior to transferring to the fridge then 3 weeks would be ideal. I typically bottle condition for 3 weeks and them pop them in the fridge for at least another week before I start popping any tops.

You could try it. It's your beer. It just might not be as carbonated as you would like and the flavor will be better if you wait longer.

NRS

Yeah,my ales take 3 weeks at 70F to age as well as carbonate. Any less time is typically insufficient,save for hefe's,which can mature early. Say two weeks.

If you must, put one beer in the fridge after a week and then try it. Impatience is an understandable vice, and I'll tell you this: any homebrewer who says she has never sampled a beer too early, even on her very first batch, is a liar. But you will probably not be happy with the results if you stick the whole batch in the fridge after a week.

Coppy ! I will weight on my honer ... It will be tuff but I can do it :D, I just made a Founders Basterd , And rite out of fermentation it was realy realy good , So I will give it the 3 week respect it deserves , I made a navada style ale , I put that in the fridge after one week in the bottle and let it chill in there for 1 more week (2 weeks total), and thought it was the best beer in the world , So I can only assume that if I fallow out the time lines that my beer will be that much better .

Every batch I make, I always fill 4 12oz bottles (I typically bottle in 22oz bottles), so over the course of the next few weeks, I have a smaller bottle to toss overnight into the fridge for testing.

I never start taste testing for a minimum of two weeks though.

The sooner you put the beer in the fridge (ie. 1 week,) the sooner the yeast fall asleep and stop consuming sugar. I would wait at least 2 weeks, preferably 3, so you don't end up with unwanted sweetness from the unfermented sugars and an undercarbonated beer.

Yeah, my first batch was just bottled, and I plan on taste testing in weekly intervals just to see how the beer changes from week to week. I know they won't be done early on, but I'd like to note changes in taste and carbonation as they mature.

That said, I probably won't try one until at least closer to two weeks.

You can try it sooner than three weeks, but don't put them all in the fridge until you KNOW they are all carbonated. Putting them in the fridge will stunt carbonation wherever it is. So until you're sure, just put them in the fridge one at a time to sample them.

I would add that you should allow the brew to chill in the fridge for at least 3 days before you open one.

I'm not puttong amy bottles in the fridge that are less thsn two full weeks in bottlls. Three, or more, is much better. Bigger brews can take longer to carbonate. So chill one down after two full weeks, for ~4+ days and try it. Put another on at 3 weeks and repeat. Do that every week until they are fully carbonated. Once they care, drink as you wish. I let my brew go long enough before bottling that thee don't need (typically) to consition longer than that in bottles.

I have some brew that was started in December, bottles in Feb= and is not gone (a barley wine).

Every batch I make, I always fill 4 12oz bottles (I typically bottle in 22oz bottles), so over the course of the next few weeks, I have a smaller bottle to toss overnight into the fridge for testing.

I never start taste testing for a minimum of two weeks though.

That, sir, is an excellent suggestion. I always feel a little guilty cracking a 22 for a taste test when I know darn well it isn't ready. :)

is going over 3 weeks a bad thing?

Currently got a batch at about 2 weeks in bottles.. i think.. i was planning on letting them condition for a month. Good/bad idea?

is going over 3 weeks a bad thing?

Currently got a batch at about 2 weeks in bottles.. i think.. i was planning on letting them condition for a month. Good/bad idea?

Not at all. In fact, high gravity beers will often take much longer than three weeks. The three week mantra that you hear so often here is a general rule of thumb, but a good one.

4 weeks in the fermentor makes very clear beer
2 weeks bottle condition test 1 12 oz bottle
3 weeks bottle condition test 1 12 oz bottle
put in fridge and enjoy.

Back