Ale Pail Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know it is typically fine to leave the lid unsnapped for primary fermentation, as the CO2 will push out any bugs. However, I plan on leaving the beer in the Ale Pail for three weeks, and skipping secondary. My lid seems not to want to seal or snap down, so it is just resting on the bucket. Am I risking oxidation by leaving as is?

Wont snap on at all? That's odd. Having a bad seal is one thing, but all my lids at least snap on.

Can you wrap sanitized foil around the lid and bucket top to aid in keeping air in? After fermentation stops the Co2 production in the beer decreases and thus less inner pressure. You might consider getting a new lid and/or complaining to whomever you bought it from.

Have you tried pushing down harder? Some lids are pretty hard to get on and off when they're brand new. If you bought them as a match pair from a homebrew shop or website, they should be compatible. You do need to seal it up. If you can't get the lid on, rack it to secondary. Then find a bucket with a lid that fits.

My first ale pail I had to tap the lid down with a hammer the first time I used it. it went down easier after that.
If the lid is warm, soak in hot water then sanitize, it will go down easier as well.

I was just going to say that I use a rubber mallet to tap my ale pail lid down. Gotta go to lowes & get one of those night stick-lookin lever things you pry the lids of them with. Hard to snap down & even harder to get off. Even though I've used the BB ale pail for about a year now.

I have one that's really hard to get the lid off. I need a bucket opener. Sliced my thumb/fingers trying to pry that thing off before.

Latest posts

Back