Ale Fermentation Temperature Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Barrett

Reaction score
So I have a 1.060 OG brown ale fermenting with Omega Yeast DIPA (“Conan”). I fermented at 65 F in the keg with a blowoff tube and when CO2 activity slowed at day 3-4, I sealed the keg to naturally carbonate. Around day 5 I let the temp increase to 72 for a diacetyl rest. I’ve read that cold crashing too early can be detrimental, so I’m wondering how long to let it go. I’m also wondering how pressurization affects the yeast at the late stages of fermentation (if at all).

I’m now at day 9 and I was planning to slowly drop the temp to serving 50F by day 14 but I also am concerned about prematurely crashing the yeast if they are still doing cleanup.

Also, hooking up a spunding valve could help prevent overcarbonation.

So, I just did my first diacetyl test to make sure that it was OK to cold crash and I gotta say, I don't think I will ever NOT do it again. It's super easy to make sure the yeast are done. I'd recommend performing a diacetyl test to make sure you're ready. If you already know how to do one, disregard. If you don't, follow this procedure and it will help you.

https://spikebrewing.com/blogs/ask-a-pro/an-easy-diy-diacetyl-test

The reason I say I won't ever NOT do a diacetyl test is because when I performed it, I thought I was done and I was good to crash the beer. It was definitely not and I had to let it sit another 4 days.

Also, hooking up a spunding valve could help prevent overcarbonation.

Ideally yes. I have tried. The valve I got from Amazon trips at the selected pressure but then continues to bleed off all pressure until zero psi which kind of ruins the point.

Back