Alcoholic wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
So there I was, walking through the grocery store and came across a shopping cart with a bunch of discounted beer in it. I fingered through them and decided to go with the Schneider and Sohn's Dopplebock. I was pretty excited to try this as I have never had a dopplebock before. After it sat refrigerated for a few hours I cracked it open and poured what looked like murky and carbonated coffee. I was fine with this because I never judge a beer by its clarity, just its taste. This is where my issue lies. This stuff tasted like very alcoholic wort. Like someone took unfermented wort and added a lot of alcohol to it. Is this just the way this style is supposed to taste or was there something seriously wrong with this bottle? Even SWMBO "who is a huge fan of sweet girly drinks" thought this stuff was too sweet.

I also noticed on the label that it says "original bottle fermentation". Does this mean that it is fermented in the bottle or just a bad translation for bottle carbonated?

In short yes, dopplebock is a very rich sweet malty beer, personally not a fan at all

duboman said:
In short yes, dopplebock is a very rich sweet malty beer, personally not a fan at all

Well I guess the hop head in me was hopping for something a little more bitter. Boy was I mistaken. Lesson learned I guess.

Dopplebock is balanced towards the malt. Very malty. One of if not the maltiest styles. Definetly not bitter or hoppy. To me its like candy. Love me some Optimator.

Bocks tend to be brewed using a decoction mash so the point is to get all those carmelized flavors in there. It would be kinda pointless to brew a beer like that and then cover up the malt with hops. German hops (noble hops) are rarely very high in alpha acids so it goes without saying that most German beers are endeavours in malt character and their idea of a balanced beer would probably be Kolsch style ale or a weisse beer.

American craft brewing tends to go overboard with hops IMO because a lot of our native varieties are so much higher in AA% than the rest of the world.

Back