Massachusetts Alcoholic to Non-alcoholic Pumpkinhead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerome Neidigh

Reaction score
Hey guys, so my fiancee and I found out we're expecting our first munchkin in Feb. While that's amazing news, it won't be come this fall when Shipyard puts our their pumpkinhead. In order to save my fall drinking life, I'm in search of help to turn regular pumpkinhead into non-alcoholic pumpkin.

I've read a little online and while it seems rather simple, I'm sure there's much more to it than what meets the eye. If I can turn regular pumpkinhead into a non-alcoholic, she will be able to have some while I get to have some. Win/Win in my book.

From what I've read, I have to boil the Brew at 175 for 15-20 mins. Let cool to below 80 and add yeast and sugar. Seems simple. My question(s) is/are:

1. Do I need Brewers yeast?
2. What kind of sugars are non fermentable?

I know it may not taste exactly the same but if I can get it close, I'm sure some nutmeg and a sugar rim will help her accept it.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

First congrats on your good news and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you want to buy Pumpkinhead Ale and remove the alcohol. Is this right?
I already saw it in stores this year.

First, you can't remove all the alcohol, especially if you plan to bottle it again. It'll be maybe 0.5-2% ABV. You might want to rethink this plan.
How about a tea with pumpkin spice? Or apple juice with a little malt for flavor and pumpkin spice?

Second, removing most of the alcohol might sound simple but there's going to be a learning curve keeping it sanitary and bottling if you've never brewed beer.
We can certainly help if you really want to go that route.

I appreciate the input. Unfortunately, I was just trying to make life a little easier for her as we both love Pumpkinhead. If we're unable to remove all the alcohol, then it doesn't fit the bill for something she can drink. Oh well, ce la vie. Thanks again

Back