Alcohol from iced tea powder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

I dont have time to brew all grain beer as my habit. So im just thinking about making alcohol from iced tea powder (this one) Verify Your Identity. Im thinking about making a 19L keg using this can and water.

Ingredients:
SUGAR, CITRIC ACID, INSTANT TEA, NATURAL FLAVOUR, SILICON DIOXIDE.

Do someone know if something in ingredient will kill yeast?

Thank

I don’t know for certain about silicon dioxide, but after a quick search, I’d be surprised if it inhibited yeast growth or activity. The rest of the ingredients will not hurt your yeast.

I am in the process with the same goal in mind, but on a different path. I tried brewing tea and fermenting, but the flavor didn't come through. I tried with a liquid mix, but that was terrible. Now my latest version is halfway through the process. I am making lemon juice wine, Think Skeeter Pee with half the lemon juice so that it doesn't overpower the tea, then using a dry tea mix without the lemon.

I used RealLemon juice for this batch, but the amount of preservative is a bit high, next batch will be with Organic lemon juice. It is available at my grocery store and has no preservatives. It costs more, but I think I will get less chance of an off flavor. I am planning a proper post once I get a batch with good flavor. Current batch should be stabilized, now to check for off flavors and sugar it up. Then I can add the tea powder

I don't see anything that will affect fermentation. You probably should add some yeast nutrients to help make a better environment for them to do their thing. Also, if you want a sweet tea beverage, you'll need to come up with a way to backsweeten since all the sugar will be gone.

Wouldn't a bag of sugar be less expensive if just alcohol is your goal?
Accurate if that’s the OP’s goal. Perhaps a little presumptive and not very helpful answering the question if there’s a reason they or anyone else would like to ferment tea.

Wouldn't a bag of sugar be less expensive if just alcohol is your goal?
Exactly!
Besides, homemade ice tea is always much better than instant powder, such as the OP linked to, which is mostly sugar anyway. They all have an artificial flavor, which I don't think is going to improve when fermented.

Steep 6-12 (or more) tea bags per gallon in hot, clean, dechlorinated water. Add sugar, then let chill or add ice cubes. Add one or more cut up or sliced lemons, peel and all, or other fruit or fruit puree.

Last edited:
Accurate if that’s the OP’s goal. Perhaps a little presumptive and not very helpful answering the question if there’s a reason they or anyone else would like to ferment tea.
I didn't presume anything. It's what the OP said. Though perhaps their statement is ambiguous.

So im just thinking about making alcohol

I'm a huge fan of unsweetened black tea with lemon (I drink a pitcher of that daily). Never thought about trying to ferment it, but now I'm intrigued to give it a try! Is this a kind of kombucha? Apparently, it's just hooch!

Back