Alcohol Bite to my Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwinn

Reaction score
My Russian Imperial Stout has a alcohol bite at the back end (and has a bit of alchohol note to it in the aroma).
It is about 7.5% alcohol so I figured initially it would but it has now been 7 weeks since I brewed it (kegged it about 4 weeks ago).
Should this still have that bite at the end or do I need to still be patient.
Could my mash temp have effected - I mashed at 154 degrees.

7 weeks? This probably won't hit its prime until 7 months!

What were your fermentation temps like. Big beers ferment hotter than smaller beers, so controlling fermentation temps are more crucial. Hot Fermentation temps can lead to fusel alcohols which may explain the "bite".

either way...more time will mellow it.

Yep, all ya need it time. Trust me. :) Try it in 4 months, and see how that alcohol taste has faded, if not completely disappeared.

If that was ambient, than chances are you got a little fusels, which explains the bite. It'll fade in time.

+1 to this...if this is what temp the BEER fermented at, then you are probably OK on the fusel-front.

If that is what the room temp was, you can expect the beer to be 5-10 degrees higher than that during the peak of fermentation...fusel city!

I used WLP002.
Yes the 67-68 was ambient temp - should I go 66 ish next time to reduce the fusels.

Never realized the temp jumped so much during the fermentation peak.
Good to know.
Will take that into consideration on my next batch.
This stout is insane so will definitely be making again - I am sure it will be even beter come Jan/Feb - If I can wait that long before drinking it all.

Back