Alaskan Amber Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfohio

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been searching for a clone recipe for Alaskan Amber and have run into some problems. Though I have found a couple recipes, none of them come close to the specs that are the the Alaskan website. The website says:

Original Gravity: 1.054, ABV 5.3%, Bitterness: 18 IBU, Color 22 SRM

Does anyone have a recipe that matches this? Any suggestions?

I don't have a clone recipe for you, but I can tell you that Alaskan amber is an altbier, which is a German ale. If you want to make something similar to Alaskan amber, start by researching alt style brews. That should get you headed in the right direction.

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 07

Thanks for the reply. I am using Beersmith which has the beer styles loaded. The altbier and german altbier styles don't fit with the Profile of the Alaskan Amber. Hence why I am confused

Thanks, I have seen those. They don't seem to match the profile that Alaskan has on their website.

The BYO recipe is close... at least for the bottle version of the Amber.

I have brewed it, and came really close by changing it a bit. Here's my take:

9# 2-row
1# Crystal 40L
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 60L

.75oz (7.0A) Cascade at 60
1oz (7.0A) Cascade at 15

So do you think the Alaskan website info on the Amber is not right? Your recipe is right on except for color; it is 12 points off there.

I think R2eng has it right. I too, searched around for the clone on this one and currently am in my 2nd week (primary still). I am ready to cold crash it for 2 weeks at 40F.

I did:
9 lbs Pale (MO)
0.55 Crystal 60
0.55 Crystal 80

0.65 Cascade (5.60) @ 60 min
1.20 Saaz (2.7) @ 15 min

WL 029 German Ale/Kolsch

Will post how it works out, but R2eng's post is good too.
Good luck.

I have the BYO 150 in front of me here is what it says

Extract
2lb 2 oz light DME
3.3 lbs Light LME (Late addition)
1lb 2 row pale malt
1lb crystal malt 40L
.66lb crystal malt 60L
.33lb crystal malt 90L
3.33 AAU Cascade for 60
3.33 AAU Saaz for 15
1 tsp Irish moss for 15
Wyeast 1007 german ale or WLP029
3/4 corn sugar for prime.

for all grain omit extracts and mash 9.5lbs of pale malt plus crystal in 14 qts @ 152.

Primary 10 days @ 68
Secondary 15 days @ 40

PM for e-mail, I will scan and send a copy of that page.

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to disregard the Alaskan website for now and take the tested recipes. I will formulate something and let you know how it goes.

I just did this recipe and am dying to find out how it comes out. I used to get a case of Alaskan Amber every year, but now that Liquid Solutions is gone that's not going to happen. Hope this comes out close!

I have the BYO 150 in front of me here is what it says

Extract
2lb 2 oz light DME
3.3 lbs Light LME (Late addition)
1lb 2 row pale malt
1lb crystal malt 40L
.66lb crystal malt 60L
.33lb crystal malt 90L
3.33 AAU Cascade for 60
3.33 AAU Saaz for 15
1 tsp Irish moss for 15
Wyeast 1007 german ale or WLP029
3/4 corn sugar for prime.

for all grain omit extracts and mash 9.5lbs of pale malt plus crystal in 14 qts @ 152.

Primary 10 days @ 68
Secondary 15 days @ 40

Do you remember what your FG was and how long did you leave it in the fermenter for and how long did you bottle it for?

I've had this in for 5 days now in the primary and planning on taking a reading in another 15 days or so.

I don't remember the FG off the top of my head, but I should have it in my notes at home. I gave it four weeks primary and then bottled 18 (kegged the rest) for my wife and my anniversary weekend back in July...our honeymoon was in alaska and we drank plenty of the amber while we were there. i still have a couple bottles left, but the keg is long gone...it is aging really really well.

The BYO recipe is close... at least for the bottle version of the Amber.

I have brewed it, and came really close by changing it a bit. Here's my take:

9# 2-row
1# Crystal 40L
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 60L

.75oz (7.0A) Cascade at 60
1oz (7.0A) Cascade at 15

I made this recently, using WY 1007, and it is delicious! Been too long since I had an AAA so I can't tell you how close it is to the Real McCoy; seems a touch less malty/more hoppy than the original but I'm almost thinking 'who cares? It's good!'. I might try it again sometime with Saaz at 15 mins instead of Cascade, and/or maybe Kolsch yeast.

Anyone got any

I think the byo version will be my next. I got a washed white labs german kolsch that I want to throw at it.

Yes. Pitching the yeast is when you add the yeast to your wort in the carboy. Washing yeast is when you capture most of what's leftover in the carboy after you bottle, keg, or rack to secondary. You can reuse yeast over and over again and store it in the fridge for a while. I have successfully revived yeast that has been in my fridge for over a year with great results.

Latest posts

Back