Alarmist article on BMC with no listed evidence but possible interesting points

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally broke down and skimmed through this blog. All I have to say is, "WOW".

My favorite comment was "Natural Flavors (can come from anything natural including a beavers anal gland)"

She's so high on organic and afraid of the anus of animals, I wonder if she knows what they spray on her precious "organic" vegetables for fertilizer?

This is my reply from Guinness they are fast man:rockin:

Thank you for taking time to contact Guinness. Your feedback is important to us.

Thank you for making us aware of the statements on this blog. We have forwarded this information to the appropriate department to be looked into. We really appreciate loyal customers such as yourself.

It may interest you to know that all Guinness Draught enjoyed in the United States comes from the home of Guinness - St. James’s Gate in Dublin. While the Guinness Beer produced in some markets may use non-GMO Sorghum and sugar syrups, we can confirm that there is no high fructose corn syrup and no GMOs in any Guinness Beer distributed in the United States.

Isinglass, a byproduct of the fishing industry, is used widely in the brewing industry. At Guinness we use isinglass as a fining agent to help remove yeast from all Guinness brewed beers. Although it is extensively refined before use, we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently remain in the finished product.

We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in removing yeast. However, knowing it may be a consumption barrier for some, we are seeking alternatives to isinglass as part of our ongoing efforts to improve the way we make our products. To date, we have not found any alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as isinglass for our product.

Once again, thank you for contacting Guinness.

Sincerely,

Kayla
Guinness Consumer Representative

Cheers! Drinking Responsibly is Brilliant!!

Please celebrate responsibly! Visit to www.b4udrink.org to learn more.

Check out www.thebar.com for fabulous drink recipes, party ideas, store locations in select states and much more

ref:_00D30pmHl._500a0XO4tJ:ref

I tend to think that if any of the isinglass remains in the beer,it'd be about as much as the other traces of fermentation by products at the point of consumption.

Hey this Kayla chick is on top of stuff took only three hours to hear a reply might buy a 6er of Guinness and see if I can get her on the phone!:D

Even though I like eating more natural foods vs. processed and I am concerned about to much unhealty in my diet and I try to exercise several times a week I am not that concerned about my beer. After all, who wants to look like a twelve year old boy at age 43 anyway?

I saw this article on a different forum yesterday and that woman has no clue what she's taking about. My favorite part is when she says that propylene glycol is used as an ingredient. What an idiot.

At Batavia Ford plant,it was a cutting fluid as well as a coolant in machining operations. It did have to be run through a filter & otherwise cleaned. It'd stink with microbial activity if they didn't,& become toxic. But an ingrediant? What an idiot.

Scroll down in the blog a ways (just before you reach the photo album of her posing with all the glitterati), and read her "Professional Bio."

Strangely absent: any professional training. No degree in chemistry, food science, medicine, no background working in the food industry...nada. Just that she has written a lot of op-ed articles and speaks a lot. A pretty girl, who has managed to build herself a cult of personality via her weblog. Meh.

I'd still hit it though.

I don't really understand why they'd put msg (a very savoury flavouring) into beer anyway? That would taste horrible?

I don't really understand why they'd put msg (a very savoury flavouring) into beer anyway? That would taste horrible?

Someone asked her about that and her response was that "it was on the list of approved ingredients." Meaning it's allowed in beer, but she has nothing to show that anyone actually put it into anything. This chick is a moron.

Scroll down in the blog a ways (just before you reach the photo album of her posing with all the glitterati), and read her "Professional Bio."

Strangely absent: any professional training. No degree in chemistry, food science, medicine, no background working in the food industry...nada. Just that she has written a lot of op-ed articles and speaks a lot. A pretty girl, who has managed to build herself a cult of personality via her weblog. Meh.

I'd still hit it though.

Looks like her plan is:
Step 1: Find a bunch of idiots who can't think critically
Step 2: Tell them exactly what they want to hear without regard for the truth.
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: Huge profits.

Someone posted a link to a page that showed she actually paid for thousands of Twitter followers to make her look credible. She deleted the post of course.

Why are people offended by this article? With exception of New Castle and Guinness, its all macro lagers. ...and caramel colourant is a "traditional" ingredient in a brown ale and its common knowledge that breweries use animal derived finings in Guinness.

gbx said:
Why are people offended by this article? With exception of New Castle and Guinness, its all macro lagers. ...and caramel colourant is a "traditional" ingredient in a brown ale and its common knowledge that breweries use animal derived finings in Guinness.

Because excluding the few facts most of the article is very misconstrued and minimally separates an entire side of the industry that prides themselves above that kind of a product. Suggesting that only German breweries, organic breweries, and independently owned breweries make beer without crazy additives isn't accurate. I bet Goose Island is still brewing everything the way they always have before the AB/InBev buy out. As I mentioned in an earlier post telling people beer has propylene glycol in it is a down right lie. She also leads the reader to believe that clarifiers, like gelatin or isinglass, are left in the beer and are used as an ingredient. Which makes someone that doesnt understand the brew process think that their actually drinking it.

Don't mean to come off as rude here. I'm just stating the reasons why some of us find the article offensive and very misleading.

Ugh, I was going to comment but I refuse to register for that morons blog. There are almost 600 comments and unfortunately many are "oh my! What will we do? This is horrible!" Thankfully such a small percentage of the population will read it that in the end it won't matter anyway.

Ugh, I was going to comment but I refuse to register for that morons blog. There are almost 600 comments and unfortunately many are "oh my! What will we do? This is horrible!" Thankfully such a small percentage of the population will read it that in the end it won't matter anyway.

Probably no point in it anyway, as her fanbase is likely comprised of tinfoil hat crazies who fear lots of things in life, and will swallow any conspiracy theory hook, line and sinker. Nobody is going to change the minds of people like that.

tumblr_lj32c7zLuy1qbakp9o1_400.gif

I think most normal people know better.

Are you guys new to reading blogs? Lightly-researched shock-value articles that bash big-industry? Shocking!

We're brewers and thus can spot BS about brewing. Remember that when reading about topics on which you are less knowledgeable.

This! To become enough of an expert on any subject to reasonably converse takes a lot of effort and study. The average reporter has to be a jack of all trades, and ends up being a master of none.

This is one reason blogs are killing newspapers. Real experts on subjects can have a platform to the world as a hobby and put out content far above that of the professional journalist. The opposite side is that it doesn't take expertise to become a blogger, and prominence in the blogosphere doesn't necessarily guarantee competence.

Always remember that when journalists butcher a story on something you're an expert in, and remember that they're butchering it just as badly on the subjects you're not an expert in...

gcdowd said:
I want to give this ***** a cu*t punt.

Edit: sorry I'm drunk and mad...

It's all good...go ahead and kick her right in the cult! All those cult followers need a good kick.

I always allow my glycol lines leak into my fermentors then serve it to customers:tank:

Not trying to be a dick here but prop. glycol is considered food safe and most likely is in the lower budget beers to some extent because in order to taste like the Rockies and be ice cold you stand to have a bit of help. Not saying its right but this is a known tric used in Presidente beer in the Dominican Republic who gives a special sub Z freezers to every bar that sells the beer. Ethylene glycol on the other hand would be really bad and make some serious headlines. I personally thin BUD drinkers wouldn't notice though. Might even improve sales.:D

Probably no point in it anyway, as her fanbase is likely comprised of tinfoil hat crazies who fear lots of things in life, and will swallow any conspiracy theory hook, line and sinker. Nobody is going to change the minds of people like that.

tumblr_lj32c7zLuy1qbakp9o1_400.gif

I think most normal people know better.

ROFLMAO! I love the cartoon. Kinda makes me think of the roflcopter of old...

The reply about lamb skin in the thread nightshade posted may be the funniest thing I've ever heard.

What's the problem here? Who wouldn't want a beer that taste like dirty bath water and has cancer causing carcinogens? Even better if it comes in a vortex bottle

The majority of her claims are entirely unsubstantiated and she doesn't list her sources. Someone in the other thread received a response from Guinness that essentially said she completely lied about them using corn syrup, GMO or otherwise. Her horror at the use of isinglass (OMG, fish swim bladders!) may be justified from a vegan who objects to the use of animal products in the manufacture of beer, but since none of it actually ends up in the finished product, no one else should care. Not to mention, it's entirely organic.

Back