Alamo City Neophyte

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clearwall

Reaction score
Hey guys, glad to be here and excited to learn all about home brewing. I haven't gotten started yet, but i should be getting to my first batch here shortly. I just have to gather all my supplies and im ready to go.

I was referred here by a guY i met through craiglist who responded to my ad asking for plastic buckets to use as a fermenter. He recommended i come here and check u guys out. So here i am, excited and ready to lean from the seasoned masses.

i have to admit, though, that i need some help getting startes. All of the forums and 'get started' stuff i read all starts out nice and slow and easy to understand. Then, inexplicably, the artucles start falling into jargon about OB levels and hydrometer readings anf whatnot. Can anyone point to a 'dummies guide to brewing' for me?

Welcome to the forums.

The book I used to learn how to brew was "Brewing for Dummies." It's was great! John Palmer posted his book "How to Brew" online (for free) at http://www.howtobrew.com/.

You'll need to learn the "brewing specific terms." It's kind of the common language everyone speaks for beer. For example, the OG and hydrometer readings that you mention help calculate your alcohol content.

Enjoy your stay.

I second "Brewing For Dummies". I thought I knew a lot about beer until I read that book. I'm also working on "How To Brew". All good stuff. Neither has provided me with the wealth of knowledge and understanding though like discussing with fellow homebrewers.

Back