Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the past week how many times per day did you stop and sniff your airlock?

• 1-2

• 2-4

• 5-8

• 9-13

• 14-20

• 20+

Results are only viewable after voting.

BootYtRappeR

Reaction score
For the past week on average how many times a day did you stop and sniff your airlock?

I have my carboys sitting on a small table in the kitchen which I pass by constantly. I love the smell of my brew as it's bubbling!

We need a "0".... I dont really smell em. My place stinks like a brewery already without putting my nose down a double bubbler...LOL

I've begun filling the airlocks with vodka instead of water, which I think I'm going to stop doing. Now, I just smell alcohol instead of fermenting beer. The loss of that aroma isn't worth the small additional risk of contamination, IMHO!

I'm in the '0' camp. My carboys are sitting in a temp-controlled chest freezer, and I open it once a week or so to either check on things or rack primary->secondary or secondary->keg. It always smells great opening the freezer. :D

One note: I was keeping grains and whatnot in the freezer as well, and some fruit flies got in there and multiplied. When I next checked, there were probably 20 of them down in the bottom of the freezer, along with two bubbling carboys. Can you see where this is headed? I got a roll of paper towels and went in after them, but nearly fainted after a minute with my head stuck down in the CO2! :drunk:

I have switched to blow off tubes since I use a 6 gallon carboy. I can't smell much but I do check my baby once per day.

I can't walk into the house without thinking, "What is the smell?" Then I remember the balckberry wine in the kitchen.

I have 25 gallons inside of a refridgerator, if I opened the door and smelled it I would probably pass out from inhaling Co2.

I just look through the glass to see if there is activity.....

Fermenter8.jpg

Back