Airlock won't stop bubling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohanMk1

Reaction score
First some back ground.

I started my all extract brew 07/14/2012. It took about 24 hours to start bubbling.

The bubbling has slowed down to sort of 5ish minutes between bubbles.

The last four days hydrometer readings were all 1014

I've read numerous posts on here telling us to be patient and let the brew sit in primary for a few weeks. Patience is not my strong suit and I am really looking forward to tasting my first beer.

What would be my next step?

The kit in the fermeter is the one that came with the kit I bought.

If the gravity hasn't changed in 4 days it is done. It is just gassing off any CO2 stuck in the beer. Just continue like normal and wait another week then bottle.

Since you are getting consistent readings you should be good to go. If you can't stand to wait another week to let the yeast finish cleaning itself up, you are probably good to bottle this weekend. The longer wait, the better beer though.

What's patience? I guess I'll have to google it later and see if it changes my opinion... I regularly do 5-10 day primaries, cold crash, and then keg. IMHO if the gravity has settled in it's final resting place and the sample tastes like your recipe/experience tells you it should, then proceed to packaging and enjoying. If patience is an issue, consider ramping up your brew schedule to create more than you destroy. With 20+ gallons in the kegerator, some pints will inevitably be forced to anxiously condition in the keg or bottle.

The beer can be ready in 5-10, I think most prefer to let the yeast clean up after themselves for the next week or so. Once you get a pipeline going though, patience shouldn't be too much of an issue, just RDW and have a recently brewed homebrew while your other is still cooking.

First off, thanks for the really quick replies.

Why not taste your hydrometer samples?
I have been :D but they're flat :D

What's patience? I guess I'll have to google it later and see if it changes my opinion... I regularly do 5-10 day primaries, cold crash, and then keg. IMHO if the gravity has settled in it's final resting place and the sample tastes like your recipe/experience tells you it should, then proceed to packaging and enjoying. If patience is an issue, consider ramping up your brew schedule to create more than you destroy. With 20+ gallons in the kegerator, some pints will inevitably be forced to anxiously condition in the keg or bottle.
I bought another fermenter yesterday and started the next beer so long. Again all extract, but this time a wheaty one. Damn it smells good less than 24 hours into the ferment :ban:

Forgot to mention that the hydro samples have been getting progresively clearer too, so much so that tonights sample would certainly be acceptable in my glass.

Watch out with the wheat beers, they tend to blow. I still have stains on my ceiling from one.

Back