Airlock Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Should the water in the airlock be a sanitized solution, or is plain water okay? One beginner kit recipe says to use sanitzed water, the other just says water. Does it matter?

Thanks in advance...

I'm not sure it matters much what you use. Perhaps nothing is fine also if your beer isn't some super hoppy NEIPA. Just some loosely wrapped foil around the neck of the carboy is what some do. And they apparently like their beer.

I've used Sanitizer solution of various sorts. The dregs of a whisky or scotch bottle that wasn't my favorite brand. And... just clean water.

The reason to use sanitizer in the airlock is to create a sterile barrier to the outside air and the beer. Any contaminates that make their way into the airlock will be neutralized by the sanitizer. If the liquid from the airlock contacts the beer due to suck back or a very vigorous fermentation, there shouldn't be anything to contaminate the beer. Although many people use plain tap water without a problem, it's just an extra layer of precaution.

Three piece airlocks (the ones with the bell that goes up and down), can suck the airlock liquid into the beer if cold crashing or significant temperature drops after fermenatation has stopped. While they are cool to watch they are inferior to the S airlocks which will not suck liquid into your beer. That said, if using a three piece it is best to use a sanitized liquid like Starsans. If using an S style, it probably doesn't matter much, but better safe than sorry and Starsans is cheap.

Bottom line - use Starsans or grain alcohol.

Last edited:
Yeah, agreed with both @wsmith1625 and @Holden Caulfield. If you homebrew long enough you'll very, very likely run into a time when that liquid in the airlock touches your beer for one reason or another. It's best/safest to make sure the airlock liquid is sanitary and something you don't mind drinking. A little bit of Star San is totally fine but I also commonly use cheap booze. If I don't have any Star San diluted and I'm feeling lazy then booze is an easy option.

Sanitized water. I have even on occasion used vodka.
I like to use cheap vodka. I have never found a bug in my beer or wine, but used to have an issue with fruit flies in my lock trying to get in…until that day I saw my wife about to discard a pair of old panty- hose. 🤔 Now I cover my airlocks with a small piece and secure it with a rubber band. No more bugs in my airlock! 😁

I like to use cheap vodka. I have never found a bug in my beer or wine, but used to have an issue with fruit flies in my lock trying to get in…until that day I saw my wife about to discard a pair of old panty- hose. 🤔 Now I cover my airlocks with a small piece and secure it with a rubber band. No more bugs in my airlock! 😁
Thanks for that 'pro' tip! Adding to the list of brewing 'hacks' ;)

A great rule of homebrewing is when in doubt clean and sanitize. I would use a cheap vodka or a Star San solution to be safe. Can you use water? Yes. But if you take extra caution on the obvious/easy things (Star San in airlock, cleaning and sanitizing all equipment including washers, spigots, lids, tubing, utensils, etc...), it'll be easier to troubleshoot more finicky topics such as yeast health, temperature control, recipe, etc...

Edit: suck-back may happen (i’ve had it happen taking gravity samples in an S-shaped airlock when I started) and for this reason alone I’d definitely use vodka/Star San

Last edited:
I will buy a handle of Svedka and pour it into both airlocks and the very occasional mixed drink. I'm more of a whiskey neat kind of guy so if I'm drinking a mixed drink with vodka it's obviously a different kind of night for me. Judge me if you must 🙂

When I use an air lock I only use the S type with good quality Vodka like Titos, Grey Goose or Redmont. All those tiny little Co2 bubbles contribute flavors and aromas to that tiny amount of Vodka providing a small, albiet delicious sample of the beer being made. I mention the cap on the airlock because it prevents fruit flys etc from making their way into the airlock. However I only use airlock with small batches. For larger batches I use a blow off and spunding valve into a pint jar of Star San solution.

I mention the cap on the airlock because it prevents fruit flys etc from making their way into the airlock.
Yessir! I always use the S-type with a cap. However, the cap, by design, have to vent the CO₂. The ones I have with the red caps have projections inside the cap that prevents a tight seal and creates a gap just large enough for fruit flies. The clear caps have holes in the top of the cap for venting and seem to fo a better job of excluding unwanted critters, but during warm months, the panty-hose is necessary for both, particularly on fermenting wine.

When I use an air lock I only use the S type with good quality Vodka like Titos, Grey Goose or Redmont. All those tiny little Co2 bubbles contribute flavors and aromas to that tiny amount of Vodka providing a small, albiet delicious sample of the beer being made
This sounds very interesting. Definitely something I am going to try on an upcoming batch! I also find myself mostly using blowoffs these days, though. So I guess it will just be a very special treat.

@eliastheodosis maybe try better vodka. I too enjoy neat spirit beverages. Been a whiskey lover many years. Then I discovered good quality vodkas. Now just like bourbons beers and others, I keep a selection of top notch vodkas to enjoy neat and frozen.
Fair point. I'm usually a pretty equal opportunity boozer and I'd never judge a spirit just by the bottom shelf choices. I've found tequilas and rums that have opened my mind to those spirits. I have just never found a vodka that I'd really reach for again. I'm willing to try harder, though 🙂 Is there a specific candidate you could suggest to change my mind? I see your list above. I would say I've had Grey Goose but it's been so long I don't think it applies any more. Name your gateway bottle of vodka (*edit*) for a bourbon drinker. Price is no issue just so long as it's not stupid.

Last edited:
This sounds very interesting. Definitely something I am going to try on an upcoming batch! I also find myself mostly using blowoffs these days, though. So I guess it will just be a very special treat.

Fair point. I'm usually a pretty equal opportunity boozer and I'd never judge a spirit just by the bottom shelf choices. I've found tequilas and rums that have opened my mind to those spirits. I have just never found a vodka that I'd really reach for again. I'm willing to try harder, though 🙂 Is there a specific candidate you could suggest to change my mind? I see your list above. I would say I've had Grey Goose but it's been so long I don't think it applies any more. Name your gateway bottle for a bourbon drinker. Price is no issue just so long as it's not stupid.
Ah, the vagaries of youth. You will learn that asking a question like that is akin to asking someone's favorite religion, or tennis shoe, or text editor as a programmer. All which can start holy wars of epic proportions.

Watch what happens, for instance, when I say:
Makers Mark
Glenfiddich 15yr Solera Reserve
(yes, that's a single malt scotch, not a bourbon, I aim to bait)

Ah, the vagaries of youth. You will learn that asking a question like that is akin to asking someone's favorite religion, or tennis shoe, or text editor as a programmer. All which can start holy wars of epic proportions.

Watch what happens, for instance, when I say:
Makers Mark
Glenfiddich 15yr Solera Reserve
(yes, that's a single malt scotch, not a bourbon, I aim to bait)
Well, I probably fall somewhere in between there I believe :) Still young enough to ask. Just old enough to know better than to expect a correct answer. I think you were trapped by some vague wording in my post, though. I edited. I am soliciting a thousand different answers for a gateway bottle of vodka, just targeted at the palate of a primarily bourbon drinker ;) Also, because it's fun to watch people argue...

Knob Creek
Koval Bourbon
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Macallan Double Cask 15

And the correct answer for text editor would probably be Notepad++ if it ran on Linux (not through snap). So, instead, it's Sublime :)

*edit* :mischievous:

Last edited:
Love me some Knob Creek. But my current Vodka of choice is Redmont. Distilled with 100% corn grist in Birmingham AL. Brought to us by none other than Sir Charles Barkley himself. While Grey Goose, Titos and Kettle One bring some very good offerings to the table, Redmont is by far the smoothest best tasting vodka I have had to date. I drink it neat right out of the freezer with a couple of olives in a Martini glass. Try it, you'll see.

initial blast off of fermentation probably nothing needed. but i usually soak my bungs and air locks in starsan during brewing so they get filled with starsan solution. if i secondary which i havent in a long time sanitation is more prevalent.

Well, I probably fall somewhere in between there I believe :) Still young enough to ask. Just old enough to know better than to expect a correct answer. I think you were trapped by some vague wording in my post, though. I edited. I am soliciting a thousand different answers for a gateway bottle of vodka, just targeted at the palate of a primarily bourbon drinker ;) Also, because it's fun to watch people argue...

Knob Creek
Koval Bourbon
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Macallan Double Cask 15

And the correct answer for text editor would probably be Notepad++ if it ran on Linux (not through snap). So, instead, it's Sublime :)

*edit* :mischievous:
Happy to see love for Knob Creek. It's my go-to.
My guilty pleasure is really cheap blended scotch like MacGregor and Inverhouse... Not even joking. I think they're great.

Three piece airlocks (the ones with the bell that goes up and down), can suck the airlock liquid into the beer if cold crashing or significant temperature drops after fermenatation has stopped. While they are cool to watch they are inferior to the S airlocks which will not suck liquid into your beer. That said, if using a three piece it is best to use a sanitized liquid like Starsans. If using an S style, it probably doesn't matter much, but better safe than sorry and Starsans is cheap.

Bottom line - use Starsans or grain alcohol.
Its so funny you just posted this. I have 30 or 40 three piece airlocks and they are what I’ve used for years. I was going through an old box recently and found an old S type airlock with the red cap and for giggles I thought I would use it. I realized right away exactly what you just said - there is much less possibility of suck back with those and they don’t even hold as much liquid. I may get a few more of those.

Happy to see love for Knob Creek. It's my go-to.
My guilty pleasure is really cheap blended scotch like MacGregor and Inverhouse... Not even joking. I think they're great.
Yeah, nothing wrong with Knob Creek! And nothing wrong with liking what you like. It's not quite as cheap but if you have Famous Grouse around you it drinks pretty well for a cheap blended scotch.

my current Vodka of choice is Redmont. Distilled with 100% corn grist in Birmingham AL. Brought to us by none other than Sir Charles Barkley himself.
I actually looked it up before and saw that about Charles Barkley. Not what I expected 😂 I will look for this one and also make sure I have some olives ready. You've got me curious.

I'll shut up now to not drag this off topic any further. Hopefully OP has got his answer.

Latest posts

Back