Airlock stopped bubbling after 3 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frozgaar

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch on wednesday, and now on friday night my airlock doesn't appear to be bubbling anymore. This morning when I checked before going to work It was bubbling at about 1 every 20 seconds. Thursday It was bubbling nonstop.

Could fermentation be done already? It seems like waaaay to early. Could something be wrong with my yeast even though they seemed perfectly healthy yesterday? I know temperature isn't an issue because every time I've checked it's been between 64 and 68, which seems pretty ideal.

What do you guys think? Should I already bottle it as soon as possible or should I wait?

Wait a week or two, check gravity, check again. If its stale, wait for the beer to drop clear then bottle. In the meantime, read up on the HBT stickies. Cheers!

Thanks. I've read over the FAQs but I can't seem to find a definite answer to my question. Could someone at least point me in the right direction?

I'm a newbie too, but basically: don't fret. Lack of airlock activity means nothing. Only stable gravity readings over the course of a few days means fermentation is done.

Its probably not quite done. Buy a hydrometer, pull a sample in a couple of days and check the specific gravity and report back here for further instructions.

Frozgaar said:
Thanks. I've read over the FAQs but I can't seem to find a definite answer to my question. Could someone at least point me in the right direction?

Primary fermentation depends on a lot of things, but typically finishes in 3-10 days. Relax don't worry have a commercial brew.

Ok. I have a hydrometer already. I'll probably buy a thief the next time I go to my LHBS to make things easier.

The definite answer to your question is that bubbles in your airlock are a poor indicator of yeast activity. The only appropriate way to monitor fermentation progress is to take gravity readings.

Right about now I like to rock my fermenters and increase the temp a degree too. That usually gets the yeast going again.

Back