Airlock Still Bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinccaudle

Reaction score
I put my beer in the primary fermenter a week ago and it is sill fermenting. Bubbling about every two seconds. What does this mean? Should I wait until it slows to switch to secondary?

as long as it's bubbling, don't secondary it. i never secondary in less than 2 weeks, usually 3, depending on what beer, on the rare occasions i secondary.

Don't move it until it stops bubbling. You'll want to ensure fermentation is complete before you bottle; you can validate this by checking the gravity.

Every two seconds is a fairly quick fermentation.

If your temp is lower than the high 60'sF your yeast will be sluggish. Most likely the case being winter although I see you're in Texas. Your yeast may also be old, which will cause it to take longer to get up an running. There could be many reasons that it's still bubbling, but after a week I think that it should be. Don't worry about the time, just let it do what it has to do and it will eventually stop. Wait until you get less than a bubble per minute or so before thinking about racking to a secondary. Really nothing to worry about though.

Back