Airlock starting back up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AboutTheStout

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I guess I have a pretty simple question, am sure I am thinking more about it than I should .... buuuuuuut my Airlock has started showing signs of life in the Primary Fermenter again. It's been about 2 weeks and activity had ceased, we've been taking the gravity readings and it looks like everything is settled and ready to go ahead and bottle. Getting my bottles ready when I notice the airlock going again, so that leads me to the Forums here.

Recipe stated that between 5-14 days we'd be ready to bottle. IPA, figure technically it's going into a Bottle Conditioning phase for the next 3 months as stated by the recipe.

Have heard that prematurely bottling can lead to bottle bombs, such as when activity is still there and co2 is being made. Should I wait a day and see if it goes down or should I just go ahead and bottle today? Was looking like it was all set to go.

:tank:

The airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean that it is still fermenting, it just means that CO2 is being released from the beer. It could have been expelled from just moving the fermenter. If the gravity is still the same, then don't worry about the airlock.

Thanks Shane,

Gravity readings were suggesting the next step be taken, but after seeing some bubbles I was like "aww hell naw" and just wanted to play it safe.

Thanks.

Back