Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I posted in the bottling section wondering if my stout was done fermenting as I'm temporarily without a hydrometer. I also notice that instead of the water in the airlock (one-piece, two-chamber style) being pushed to one chamber because of CO2 vapor/pressure, it has equaled out. Is this normal for beers that sit in the secondary long? (This one's been there for 25 days, I'm bottling tomorrow).

Is the water equalizing in the airlock anything to be concerned about? I've never waited this long to bottle a brew.

no, it just shows that there isn't enough activity any more to be pushing CO2 out of the lock. it's fine. just ready for the next phase! :~)

You didn't mention the type of fermenter. I THINK thee is enough CO2 in even the secondary, to maintain slight presssure to offset the level in the air lock. I'm gonna guess that the lid leaks on your plastic bucket fermenter.

Or maybe it's just so cold that the beer is not outgasing at all?

I think I'll go start a thread on lid sealing....

FWIW, I have an ale in the secondary that was not putting any pressure up, and it was the temp..too low. I gave it a lukewarm soak in the sink, and then zipped one of my fleece vests around it, and it had pressure within an hour. My stout was the same way...it was very temp sensitive.

Back