Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugDude

Reaction score
So yesterday the airlock started bubbling. Everything was going smooth, the starsan/water mix I had in the airlock was kind of foaming out the top.

This morning I wake and the airlock has amber color liquid in it. I assume it's the brew. Outside the top and around the neck of the carboy there is some dried amber colored substance (looke like foam)

The airlock fluid level dropped about 1/8 -1/4 inch below the line

My question is should I go get a new airlock, sanatize and replace this dirty one with a new one? Should I just pull the one I have, clean sanatize and put it back on? Or should I just leave it alone and stop being paranoid.

Inside the carboy everything is whirling around and it still bubbles, not like yesterday but here and there so things still appear to be working. Or at least I hope they are.

Lastly. Does this site have an app like tapatalk or anything where I can upload pics from my phone? Took a couple pics but can't post them and the computers on the fritz

Thanks in advance

~Bug

So yesterday the airlock started bubbling. Everything was going smooth, the starsan/water mix I had in the airlock was kind of foaming out the top.

This morning I wake and the airlock has amber color liquid in it. I assume it's the brew. Outside the top and around the neck of the carboy there is some dried amber colored substance (looke like foam)

The airlock fluid level dropped about 1/8 -1/4 inch below the line

My question is should I go get a new airlock, sanatize and replace this dirty one with a new one? Should I just pull the one I have, clean sanatize and put it back on? Or should I just leave it alone and stop being paranoid.

Inside the carboy everything is whirling around and it still bubbles, not like yesterday but here and there so things still appear to be working. Or at least I hope they are.

Lastly. Does this site have an app like tapatalk or anything where I can upload pics from my phone? Took a couple pics but can't post them and the computers on the fritz

Thanks in advance

~Bug

The airlock just got filled with some beer while the krausen was high. I would just fill it with more StarSan solution to get it to the appropriate level. I wouldn't remove it or anything. Just pop the cover and fill it. What size carboy are you using for what size batch?

And I'm not sure about the picture question. I'm currently using the iPhone HBT app and it let's me post pics just fine. I'm pretty sure the app is available for both ios and android.

Hey bug. Since it has only been a day I would clean and replace the airlock. Chances are it might continue to do the same thing and if it tries to come out again it might clog the airlock. That would potentially be a bad situation. (Aka blowing the top off).

Cleaning it and replacing it is easy to do, so I say you might as well. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

If the krausen has subsided just clean up/re-sanitize and re-install the airlock.

You should look into using a blow off tube. If an airlock gets clogged with gunk it could explode and make a mess. A blow off tube will allow the CO2/krausen/gunk to exit without a buildup of pressure. Good luck.

+1 on using a blow of tube. Not if but when you have an explosion :eek: you will start using one lol. As for the gunk on the outside theres no need to worry about.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Thank you for the responses.

Got everything cleaned up. It was not a huge mess.

I'm using a 6gal carboy for a 5 gal batch.

As for the blowoff tube I'll likely try one on the next batch and keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Thanks again
~bug

Another question.

I'm brewing an Irish red ale.

The fermenting temp is up around 70-72. Ambient room temp is 70

Should I try to move the fermenter to a different room and bring the temp down or should I leave it alone. It's been fermenting for about a day and a half now.

Yeast pitch temp was 68

Get yourself a tub and an old towel. Put your fermenter in the tub and poor some water in it and wrap the towel around the fermenter. This will help cool it down and if you need to put some ice in it to get the temp down to where you need it to be. Add small amounts of ice at a time though. One time I put in too much and it dropped to low to fast (very bad for yeast). I have a ceiling fan in my ferm room and it works great if you dont get a small fan and set it on low next to the fermenter.

Sorry bug dude I think I might have jumped the gun. If you have a room thats cooler or have a room you can control the temp to I would just move it. If not what I said above works... cheers.

Just putting the carboy in the tub with cold water is enough to put down the temperature. If your yeast asks for a low temp, then you will need more equipment. But you need to think that the fermentation brings up more than 2-3 degrees.

Get yourself a tub and an old towel. Put your fermenter in the tub and poor some water in it and wrap the towel around the fermenter. This will help cool it down and if you need to put some ice in it to get the temp down to where you need it to be. Add small amounts of ice at a time though. One time I put in too much and it dropped to low to fast (very bad for yeast). I have a ceiling fan in my ferm room and it works great if you dont get a small fan and set it on low next to the fermenter.

I have a couple of these things called Tubtrugs. They are wide enough to hold most fermenters, they keep glass carboys from getting scratched on the bottom and are deep enough to catch any blow off if it over runs your fermenter.

bosco

Hey bosco do you have a link for those? Id like to check that out.

The airlock just got filled with some beer while the krausen was high. I would just fill it with more StarSan solution to get it to the appropriate level. I wouldn't remove it or anything. Just pop the cover and fill it.

I never understood why people use starsan in an airlock. There is a chance that some of that airlock fluid can get sucked into the carboy. I always just use vodka. It's sanitary and is just ethanol and water, so if it drips in no big deal.

Latest posts

Back