Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just dropped a batch of Chocolate Stout in my primary this past Sunday. Topped it off with a three piece airlock. Monday everything was good to go, baby beer breathing with a healthly ferm going. Today however, when I got back from work, I found my airlock flooded with baby beer. Some of it was also bubbling out of the little holes on the top cap. I quickly cleaned and sanitized a back up blow off and popped it on. My question is, would the few seconds that it took to swap the two airlocks out allow this batch to become infected? I have brewed many batches and never had an infected batch. I am very meticulous in cleaning/ sanitizing. I also have never had to go to the back up blow off. My 6.5 carboy has never flooded. Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this question.

From what I've seen, that much activity would tend to blow any infection out of the fermenter or at least prevent anything from "falling" in. RDWHAHB.

Beer used to be fermented in large, wooden, open vessels hundreds of years ago. They would produce a safe beverage for consumption using techniques that would make most of us cringe. Don't worry about what happened. Your beer was just aggressively fermenting and the few seconds your airlock was out won't hurt it. RDWHAHB.

Back