Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRParker

Reaction score
Situation: So just a week or so ago I purchased my first 5 Gallon Fermentor with an Airlock(not the S-type, the 3 piece).

My question: DO I have the Cap on the Airlock, or just have it filled with sani-water/Spirits(Vodka I have seen advocated here)?

I have been fermenting a brew with the Cap on for a week now and I am not sure if I am using my equipment correctly(my last sample seemed almost carbonated).

Air locks can be deceiving. If you are using a plastic pail for fermenting then likely the lid is not sealing perfectly so the CO2 is escaping there instead of building enough pressure to bubble the airlock.
You have to use the cap on a 3-piece, it keeps the floater from rising too high and letting the water/alcohol into your beer.
Initially it will seem carbonated because the yeast are constantly making gas that is dissolved in the beer, if you stir it you will get lots of head because the CO2 in solution bubbles out. This will subside as fermentation progresses.

You should really consider just going to a blow-off tube. Sooner or later you are going to have an issue with the air-lock on a violent fermentation and have crap all over your ceiling.

Here's a batch I made this past Saturday and woke up Sunday to see this:

377569_4224907373215_218173851_n.jpg

Air locks can be deceiving. If you are using a plastic pail for fermenting then likely the lid is not sealing perfectly so the CO2 is escaping there instead of building enough pressure to bubble the airlock.
You have to use the cap on a 3-piece, it keeps the floater from rising too high and letting the water/alcohol into your beer.
Initially it will seem carbonated because the yeast are constantly making gas that is dissolved in the beer, if you stir it you will get lots of head because the CO2 in solution bubbles out. This will subside as fermentation progresses.

Maybe poorly made buckets, ive never had or seen anyone i know buy a bucket(that was made for fermenting, not going to buy some home depot paint bucket) that did not have a solid seal.

In fact the lids for all of my buckets are a huge PITA to remove and put on.

Thank you all for your quick responses, I figured since It came with a Cap I would use the cap.

Glad to see I was correct.

I am also not having any problems with the seals on my bucket, as I said the sample seemed almost as if it was starting to carbonate in the fermentor.

Back