Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc904

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new. I'm getting ready to buy my first equipment. Do you guys prefer S Bubble airlocks or 3 piece airlocks? I have read that the S bubble is a better choice for secondary fermenters ( which I probably won't do for awhile since I'm a beginner ) and the 3 piece airlock is better for primary fermenters since it comes apart easily for cleaning in the event of a blow off. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Do as you just typed. Go with a 3 piece in case you have a high krausen condition.

I use a 3 piece for both my plastic 6.5 gal primary and my 5 gal glass carboy.
It works fine, and I have never had my beer come through the airlock. I don't think it really matters.

You'll find cleaning the 3 piece units much easier. I use em on both plastic and glass with no problems. Plus you can pull the cap and inside piece out and attach a blow off tube easily if needed... Revvy has a great example of this technique ( I'm sure someone will link to it) Good luck and happy brewing.

I think the S-type is cooler to watch :) I think the key is to have more than one on hand, just in case. They are so inexpensive, pick up one or more of each and see what you like.

Back