Airlock problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
I have my airlock on my primary and I filled it half with water. So each half of it was filled with water upto the half way line. I came home today to be happy to see my airlock bubbling from the brew last night, but I noticed all the water is on one side of the airlock now, and a little is actually coming out the top. Is this a problem? I dont know how to refil it on the other half without taking it out...

Leave it alone. Your fermentation is generating pressure which is pushing the sanitizer to the outlet side of the airlock. This is totally what you want to see. As long is there is liquid in the tube you are golden. If you lose some volume in a day or so you can add a little bit to the outlet side to top off.

I have my airlock on my primary and I filled it half with water. So each half of it was filled with water upto the half way line. I came home today to be happy to see my airlock bubbling from the brew last night, but I noticed all the water is on one side of the airlock now, and a little is actually coming out the top. Is this a problem? I dont know how to refil it on the other half without taking it out...

It's fine, leave it alone...the escaping co2 just moved the water over where it wanted it...doesn't mean a thing and happens all the time...Don't bother refillin it.

The airlock is just a vent, not a fermentation gauge..it's to keep the beer from exploding out of the fermenter due to a over production of CO2...so bubbling or not bubbling means nothing at all, so don't panic if you have no airlock activity....S types like yours tend to bubble more that the 3 pieces...so it is fun to watch...although it means nothing.

I have the coopers kit and mine is doing the exact same thing.
I wouldn't worry though!

The function of the airlock is to allow the CO2 to escape and not allow outside air in. If enough 'sputters' out that you no longer have the 'exit side' globe pretty full I would just boil a little more water and add it to that side.
The bubbles will go through the water just fine. The fact you have the majority on the exit side only tells you you are doing it right. You have positive (outbound) pressure so wort is working and nothing (such as 'bad' air) is getting in. :D

I am a n00b too but that's MY take on it. YMMV? ;)

Leave it alone. Your fermentation is generating pressure which is pushing the sanitizer to the outlet side of the airlock. This is totally what you want to see. As long is there is liquid in the tube you are golden. If you lose some volume in a day or so you can add a little bit to the outlet side to top off.
I have a one peice airlock s type i started the process yesterday around 6 last night it has pushed the water to one bubble but havent seen anu bubbles come out yet. I have 60oz grape juice 5lb sugar and 4 tablespoons of yeast in a 5 gallon bucket. Can u give me advice on what could be wrong if anything??

You have 60 oz of juice and 5 lbs sugar..........4tbs yeast for bread? You got a lot of sugar for that amount of juice. Lot's of times I use only six lbs for five gallons of juice. With the sugar in the juice that will give me around a 1065 or 1070 gravity. If it is bread yeast it will not be strong enough to eat much of that sugar. You need to recheck your recipe or look at some on this site.

Hey guys! I'm new here and I hope that my question was not asked before.

I accidentally removed the airlock about 10 seconds. Will that cause any problems?

I accidentally removed the airlock about 10 seconds. Will that cause any problems?

Only if you lost the airlock in those 10 seconds. I will open the lid on my bucket fermenter to dry hop and it doesn't cause any problems. Just don't leave it open any longer than necessary.

Only if you lost the airlock in those 10 seconds. I will open the lid on my bucket fermenter to dry hop and it doesn't cause any problems. Just don't leave it open any longer than necessary.
Thank you very much!

I actually had an entire bung pop out, leaving the fermenter "open" for at least two days before I noticed. There beer turned out fine, but I'd say I was pushing my luck on that one.

Back