Airlock Plug in Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emart85

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm going to admit to doing this, it feels so dumb... I finished brewing a wheat this last weekend, and somehow managed to push the rubber plug for my airlock into my 6 gal glass carboy. I had the airlock floating in a bucket of sanitizer prior to plugging, and it apparently was lubricated by the sanitizer enough that i managed to wedge the plug all the way into the carboy! I had a blowoff tube handy, so I put that in and all is well for now (I probably should have used it to begin with anyway).

Any ideas on how I could get this thing out of a glass carboy? I've tried to think of some creative ways to get it out, but haven't come up with much. At this point it's looking like I'm going to have to leave it in there for eternity...

:smack:

I can't believe I'm going to admit to doing this, it feels so dumb... I finished brewing a wheat this last weekend, and somehow managed to push the rubber plug for my airlock into my 6 gal glass carboy. I had the airlock floating in a bucket of sanitizer prior to plugging, and it apparently was lubricated by the sanitizer enough that i managed to wedge the plug all the way into the carboy! I had a blowoff tube handy, so I put that in and all is well for now (I probably should have used it to begin with anyway).

Any ideas on how I could get this thing out of a glass carboy? I've tried to think of some creative ways to get it out, but haven't come up with much. At this point it's looking like I'm going to have to leave it in there for eternity...

:smack:

I've done this too. Fished mine out with a straightened out metal coathanger. Once I hooked it I kept rotating the carboy until I was able to "thread it" enough to bend the other side to keep it from sliding off. Then I just used a ton of keg lube on the carboy neck to get it out. It was not as easy as I've made it sound though. Good luck!

I used this method. Took less than 5mins:

Last edited by a moderator:
emart85 said:
Thanks for the replies - It's good to know I'm not the only one who has done this before!

Ya.... I did this as I was cleaning my new carboy and about to use it for the first time. After a few minutes of panic I consulted YouTube and went to work!

Latest posts

Back