Airlock Lopsided

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igvandeventer

Reaction score
Hi all! Virgin brewer here! I got my first batch of brew in the primary with a 3 piece airlock set. It seems to be bubbling at a regular rate but the inside hat is a little lopsided on one side. I figured it would be fine but I wanted another opinion so I'm not setting myself up for infection or other evil things.

It's fine... lot more difficult to infect a batch of beer than you'd think. A piece of foil over the top can work just as well in a pinch... Just relax for a week or so and you'll have a batch of beer. Good job...

It should be fine. My three price airlock on my weizenbeir is the same way. Don't worry.

I've never had a 3-piece airlock ever sit perfectly level. As long as there is sufficient liquid to keep any air from being sucked back through the 'hat' then you are fine! in 2 weeks, take a gravity sample and drink/taste the sample wait 2 or 3 days and test again. It will be beer in any case!

It's probably overfilled. Which is absolutely no problem as long as you don't cold crash with that airlock in place. If you DID cold crash, you would get suckback of the sanitizer.

It's probably overfilled. Which is absolutely no problem as long as you don't cold crash with that airlock in place. If you DID cold crash, you would get suckback of the sanitizer.

The small amount of sanitizer will not be an issue. I bought and use cheap vodka to fill my airlocks (but I do a lot of long term aged beers).

I figured I was being a little paranoid, but thanks for the added comfort! :D

Being paranoid is actually a good thing. It keeps you from being complacent. I see people do it all the time and wonder about the quality of their beer. I make complete set of notes for each brew day and make sure that if it is going to potentially touch my beer after boiling, it is sanitized even my kids know that if they are helping me after it goes into the boil kettle they wash their hands and then either dunk into a bucket or spray their hands with the StarSan bottle. I would be much more trusting of someone that was worried about things than those that are touching everything and anything while brewing.

Yeah my son messed with the airlock after I racked it in, but he's only three so I couldn't be too mad. He didn't dislodge it but just kicked some water out and I had to refill. Only having a carboy and a 6.5 primary it was a pain to keep sanitized gear in it when I had to use the damn thing. I'll see when it's done suppose. I'll get a sample on Friday when I rack the secondary.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Back