Airlock fouling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubbfan

Reaction score
I came upon my amber in primary today in my cooler. The airlock had been fouled by an overactive fermentation in my cooler (set to 63 F + or - 3 degrees). Beer had bubbled up into the airlock and pushed out all the water. I immediately cleaned the airlock when I discovered the problem and installed my blow off tube.

I don't know how long the airlock had been inoperative (not more than 24 hours). When I installed the blow off tube, fermentation appeared to be progressing as normal. Is there any problem with the fermentation?

Thanks in advance!

small chance of contamination, but i'd say you're good. it's happened to me many a time and my brews have always turned out fine. i almost always use a blow-off tube for initial fermentation now.

That happens sometimes, don't worry. Early in fermentation, there is almost always plenty of co2 coming off to push out any nasties. You did the right thing, putting a blow off tube on as soon as you noticed it. I've often pulled off an airlock, cleaned and resanitized and stuck it back on.

Back