Airlock during lagering, necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanseMacabre

Reaction score
I have a small chest freezer that I would like to start using as a lager fermentation chamber. I can fit one carboy on the floor, and one carboy on the freezer hump. The problem is the carboy on the hump: the top of the carboy is so close to the freezer lid that I can't keep an airlock in the carboy when the lid closes. I've heard it is not important to keep airlocks in place when cold crashing beers in a freezer, and that one can use sanitized foil or plastic wrap ontop of the carboy. Is the same true when lagering for 2+ month?

If you can fit with a carboy cap, I'd go with that. Otherwise, I'd cold crash with very loose plastic wrap rubber banded around the top (sanitized, of course), and then once it's down to temp, put a stopper that hasn't been drilled in the top.

Amandabab,

Well what do you know, another piece of equipment to purchase:) actually these look like a perfect solution, thanks so much:rockin:

Latest posts

Back