Airlock crud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
replace the airlock, or better, replace it with a blowoff tube. Just because the krausen went back down a bit doesnt mean it wont start back up. Ive had to rig up blowoff tubes many times and took them off too early.

Yeah, just pull it off and clean it, and re-sanitize. Should be good to go- if your fermentation is that vigorous you may want to cool it off or you will have to clean it a few more times.

Since it should be past initial fermentation's vigorous activity by this time, you should be fine replacing it with a clean, sanitized airlock. I keep a ziplock bag full of them for such needs.

I've found that I don't really need a blow off much anymore, since I got my wort temp down to 65F or so when pitching. Pitching in the cool of the evening helps too. It's the vigorous, initial fermentation starting that seems to cause violent blow offs.

Back