Air travel with ingredients - looking for thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Monkey

Reaction score
So I'm heading to the east coast from Arizona to brew some beer, and got to thinking about different ways to get ingredients to the brewout. I like my LHBS and would love to take one of their kits with me. They offer shipping, but I wanted to check out the thoughts from y'all on flying the kit myself -

There are no LHBS in the area I'm heading, so that's out. Ordering online is one option, I've never done so as there are three stores here in the valley and I've been able to find all I need so far - I'm sure once I hit AG I'll buy more online.

Air travel - anyone ever fly with an extract brew kit? I can only imagine if you don't check the hops what that conversation would be like...

I dont think youd have any problems. Make sure it is DME, remember liquids, aerosols and gels are limited to 3oz packages.

As per previous mention, the the extract is liquid you need to check it (not that you were likely to get the kit and clothes and whatever else you are taking in a single carry-on).

Depending on how the extract is packaged, I would be nervous.

Shipping seems like an awfully good option.

Ship it, it's not worth the potential hassle and then having to check your bag and pay more than it would have to ship.

The big question is how are you going to get the carboy full of beer back on the plane!!

Ok, that made me laugh -

I'm shipping out a kit to the address, just seems best practice. Thanks for the input, I'm guessing there are very few who have made the attempt to travel fully loaded with the ease of shipping these days -

So I'm heading to the east coast from Arizona to brew some beer, and got to thinking about different ways to get ingredients to the brewout. I like my LHBS and would love to take one of their kits with me. They offer shipping, but I wanted to check out the thoughts from y'all on flying the kit myself -

There are no LHBS in the area I'm heading, so that's out. Ordering online is one option, I've never done so as there are three stores here in the valley and I've been able to find all I need so far - I'm sure once I hit AG I'll buy more online.

Air travel - anyone ever fly with an extract brew kit? I can only imagine if you don't check the hops what that conversation would be like...

Check it in baggage, no problem. Don't try and carry any of that **** on. And unless you want to spend the night in jail, bring pellatized hops in the off chance a dog alerts on your bag, no way will you just walk away with a lb of whole hops in ziploc baggies;-). I'd also ixnay on the DME as well, go with the liquid.

Check it in baggage, no problem. Don't try and carry any of that **** on. And unless you want to spend the night in jail, bring pellatized hops in the off chance a dog alerts on your bag, no way will you just walk away with a lb of whole hops in ziploc baggies;-). I'd also ixnay on the DME as well, go with the liquid.

And how in the hell are they going to throw you in jail for hops and DME? You might catch some ****, but nobody is going to jail.

And how in the hell are they going to throw you in jail for hops and DME? You might catch some ****, but nobody is going to jail.

Unless you cath some retard cops, in which case you'd have a nice lawsuit in order to buy the Brutus 10 you've been wanting:)

But seriously, you're going to AZ to brew and just leaving it there?

I took about 8oz of hops home on the plane with me. I did not check my bags and just took them as a carry on. The security lady stopped the machine and called for a bag check. This other guy came over and pulled out my plastic bag bursting with hops and was like WHAT IS THIS! He said it like he had just made some big drug bust, I casually said that they where hops. The look on his face was priceless, his dream of busting someone with a crap load of weed was crushed! He did a once over of the hops again and let me be on my way. I got quite a laugh from that one.

Unless you cath some retard cops, in which case you'd have a nice lawsuit in order to buy the Brutus 10 you've been wanting:)

But seriously, you're going to AZ to brew and just leaving it there?

I'm heading to my folks place in PA to brew with my dad - he's just getting into homebrewing from being out here over the winter (snowbirds) and seeing my brother and I brew a few times.

He has a kit there already from a place in Maryland, and I'm taking one from a LHBS that has never failed me. They are shipping it there for the weekend now -

Leaf hops can bear a very similar likeness to another member of the canabis family in certain forms.

If the cop is an *******, and in AZ we have a lot of ******* cops when it comes to pot, they can arrest you for possesion. You'll go through the entire system until such time as the lab verifies that the product in question was legal. Labs are pretty backed up......could take months. Meanwhile, you'll have to post bail and keep making trips back.

It's happened quite often with other herbs and greens amongst the nature healing crowd.....it's also happened to locals who had legal permits and contracts to grow hemp (on the res). LE has come in and burned their crops and arrested everyone on site.........only to have the case thrown out because it was a legal product.

All the cop has to do is say he thinks it's pot and you're up **** creek. Why I suggest labeled and sealed pellet hops.

Leaf hops can bear a very similar likeness to another member of the canabis family in certain forms.

If the cop is an *******, and in AZ we have a lot of ******* cops when it comes to pot, they can arrest you for possesion. You'll go through the entire system until such time as the lab verifies that the product in question was legal. Labs are pretty backed up......could take months. Meanwhile, you'll have to post bail and keep making trips back.

It's happened quite often with other herbs and greens amongst the nature healing crowd.....it's also happened to locals who had legal permits and contracts to grow hemp (on the res). LE has come in and burned their crops and arrested everyone on site.........only to have the case thrown out because it was a legal product.

All the cop has to do is say he thinks it's pot and you're up **** creek. Why I suggest labeled and sealed pellet hops.

Give me a break.

Give me a break.

Break or not.......the genus Cannabis and it's botanical relative, Humulus are both clasiffied under the family Cannabaceae. Humulus is the genus to which hops belongs. There is a considerable number of studies dealing with this relationship, and the physical (appearance) similarities between the two are widely documented. In fact, there are some newer generation hybrids within the Cannabis genus that even smell similar to some members of the hops family (piney, etc).

All I'm saying is.......AZ is not a real lenient state when it comes to dope, due to our border issues. Depending on where you go in the state (for example if you travel to the S. portion), you'll even get to go through a genuine border patrol check set up on the highway, where they will route ALL north bound traffic through, and walk a dog around each vehicle (so much for a constitutional right to privacy and freedom from search and seizure right?). You'll experience the same traveling westbound on Interstate 8 into California, or Eastbound into AZ, along the strip of I8 that parallels MX. If the dog alerts (and they false alert once in a while), and you have a 1lb bag of leaf hops in a ziploc baggie........you won't be going anywhere for a while until it's positively ID'd. Same with the airport screeners at TIA or Phoenix. If the officer on the seen decides to be a dick........your plans will almost certainly be delayed.

Back