Air stone gadget anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
I have been reading posts about the use of diffuser stones to aerate wort before pitching and all of the relevant tangents about what the air pump might push into the wort and inline filters etc. So I started rooting around in my "junk" pile (I'm a packrat and never throw away anything that might be useful) and found an old aquarium air pump that had the cord chewed off by the 4 legged beast. So I went to Radio shack and bought a $3 project box that would fit the pump.

I mounted the pump into the box with relatively airtight holes for the AC cord and the hose and then drilled the lid. I cut up some carbon pre-filter media that I had laying around (I use it with a fan and funnel box to help capture some paint fumes when I'm forced to spray small projects indoors) and put it under the lid, sealed it up, & now I have a pump to supply the diffuser stone on my next brew.

The great thing about this is, you can buy the carbon filter and it should last you years as it is quite a large sheet inside. Here are some pics.:mug:

Pump in box.JPG

Drilled lid.JPG

Filter media.JPG

ready to close up.JPG

A carbon filter is a good idea, but I would put a 1 micron filter on the air line as well. You need to filter the output of the pump also as the pump itself can generate contamination.
Looks like a cool project! Brewing projects are the best arent they?

Along the same lines but for carbonation rather than aeration, I found this while searching for DIY conical fermenter parts. Looks like a really convenient solution to force carbonation, but it's a bit pricey.

2370.jpg

Back