Air Space When Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierrrr

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch of homebrew this last weekend and I have a question about one bottle in particular. After filling as many bottles as I could, I ended up with one about half full. I went ahead and capped it (mostly cuz my wife was doing all the capping and I wanted to try...). So anyway, reading all these posts on here about people crackin open a batch and how good it all turns out, I started getting ansy. I have had this gnawing feeling that I didn't run as spic-n-span a ship as I think I should have and so I have been overrun with the thought that I have funky beer. So, I decided to break open this half-full bottle and investigate.

I brewed an Irish Stout from a kit using LME. Single-stage ferment for about 5 days (airlock stopped completely for about a day with 2 days same SG reading). Has been aging for about 5 days now. My question is, would having a half-filled bottle cause any off flavors? Guiness is my favorite beer which is why I went with the Irish Stout but this does have a flavor that isn't setting right with me. I have a full bottle chilling now, just for chits and giggles to see if it tastes any different. I can say, this half-bottle does seem quite carbonated (used the premeasured amount of corn sugar so I didn't overdo that).

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just a noob with some questions.

Thanks,
HB

I should of added, it doesn't necessarily smell weird and it doesn't make me flinch or anything to taste it.

Well, while writing this, I went and tested my one that is chilling and here are my conclusions, shoot me some advice.

It has a pretty good taste (again, it has only been bottled for 5 days now). It does have a fairly bitter aftertaste (this particular kit had bittering and aroma hops, although I forget the type). It does seem to be carbonated decently for only being 5 days old (which scares me of exploding bottles; is this normal?). Lastly, it does seem to have some punch (alcoholic) to it. Now, I have to admit, this is my first homebrew so these "weird" flavors I'm experiencing may just be homebrew vs commercial brew?

Definitely not sour or tangy, the prominent flavor is bitter, but again this is Irish Stout so I know it is the more prominent flavor.

Whatchoo guys (and/or gals) tink?

HB

the books say one inch of headspace is about right

too much headspace is evidently asking for pressure problems.

I have never had a problem, but I generally drink that partial bottle while I am cleaning up - that way I never have a problem. It is like a little promise of what will be after conditioning.

have fun

I wouldn't worry too much about the beer being carbonated after 5 days. I have had beer carbonate after just 2 days and it did not explode. Once a beer reaches carbonation most of the yeast falls out of suspension anyway and so the beer will not continue to pressurize at an appreciable rate. I would let it age for at least 2 more weeks and if you can wait this long:4 weeks and then see how it tastes. I have a hard time waiting 4 weeks myself so I will brew 3-4 batches in a row (every weekend) and that way I can't help but to have plenty of mature beer on hand. But I have also had beer that was perfectly good to go after 5 days in the bottle, but usually a dark beer will improve with 3-4 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Thanks Prof, that helps. It is gonna be hard waiting 3 more weeks, especially after having a sample last night but I know it will get better. Speaking of better, what exactly is better? Does it mellow out any, richer, fuller, etc.? I did notice last night that the one bottle I cracked off had pretty good head retention so I was pleased there.

Oh yeah, I meant to ask, there isn't any harm in drinking unfinished beer is there (aside from not tasting it's best)?

Thanks again,
HB

HoosierBrewew said:
Oh yeah, I meant to ask, there isn't any harm in drinking unfinished beer is there (aside from not tasting it's best)?

Nope. We taste our beer at every step of the way.

And BTW, there is no flavor difference between homebrew and commercial brew. That there's a myth. No one can tell my beer from commercial, except that it's often better :D

Frankly, I find that kits, especially ones that use liquid, usually have some off-flavors. I'm not a fan of extract, and recommend all-grain if you can swing it, but if you use extract, try dry. I have found it to be much cleaner. All extracts tend to have more residual sweetness than I like, though. Never add corn/cane sugar no matter what a kit says. Replace it with malt.

The hopping sounds a little weird for a stout, which really shouldn't have much of a hop prescence at all.

Definitely let it sit as long as you can stand it. It'll only get better. Next time, think about concocting your own recipe or finding one somewhere or using this forum so you can tailor the beer more to your exact liking. Also, give dry extract a try and see if you like it better.

Janx

Janx said:
And BTW, there is no flavor difference between homebrew and commercial brew. That there's a myth. No one can tell my beer from commercial, except that it's often better :D

If your beer is ofter better, then wouldn't that mean there is a flavor difference?

Regarding the LME, really? Dry malt does taste better the LME? I will definitely give it a try.

I will go all-grain eventually, but I want to get a few more batches under my belt first (plus I don't have the room yet :) ).

Anyway, thanks for the help.

BTW, I had another (well 2...) a couple nights ago, and it was much better so I can already tell it's improving.

Thanks again.

I never have the 1/2 bottle problem, I just drink whatever does not fit ;) I would imagine it would never carbonate the way it should.
Take a 6 pack of the beer and throw it in a dark closet for a 1/2 year and then you will probably see why aging makes it taste better.

HoosierBrewew said:
I just bottled my first batch of homebrew this last weekend and I have a question about one bottle in particular. After filling as many bottles as I could, I ended up with one about half full. I went ahead and capped it (mostly cuz my wife was doing all the capping and I wanted to try...). So anyway, reading all these posts on here about people crackin open a batch and how good it all turns out, I started getting ansy. I have had this gnawing feeling that I didn't run as spic-n-span a ship as I think I should have and so I have been overrun with the thought that I have funky beer. So, I decided to break open this half-full bottle and investigate.

I brewed an Irish Stout from a kit using LME. Single-stage ferment for about 5 days (airlock stopped completely for about a day with 2 days same SG reading). Has been aging for about 5 days now. My question is, would having a half-filled bottle cause any off flavors? Guiness is my favorite beer which is why I went with the Irish Stout but this does have a flavor that isn't setting right with me. I have a full bottle chilling now, just for chits and giggles to see if it tastes any different. I can say, this half-bottle does seem quite carbonated (used the premeasured amount of corn sugar so I didn't overdo that).

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just a noob with some questions.

Thanks,
HB

My last batch I used the True Brew Irish Stout kit, and I can vouch for the bitterness. Also, the high carbonation. It does get a really nice head on it, but the last 3 bottles of the batch, I had left in the fridge for a bit. When I cracked them, they foamed over like a volcano. I don't know if that's from the temp difference after I opened them, or what, but the ones I left in my usual spot (a little warmer than the fridge, but not much) had no problems....

NUCC98 said:
...they foamed over like a volcano.

I had the same problem the other night when I tried one. Except that it didn't foam over when I opened it rather when I poured it into the frosted mug I had.

Janx said:
The hopping sounds a little weird for a stout, which really shouldn't have much of a hop prescence at all.

Janx

Really?? I thought stouts were very hoppy. They have a big bitterness rating according to a Michael Jackson book I have.

Back