Air Lock Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Lover

Reaction score
I am using the normal everyday lock you get in the kits and am totall noob at this. Should I leave the cap that goes on top with the small holes in it on or off. How much water, sanitizer, vodka, etc (or whatever you recommend) should I use. Right now I have the top off and filled it to what appears to be the waterline. Itgs been 72 hours and the bubbling has slowed tremendously. One bubble every 2-3 mins. The little bouncing cap with slats in it is leaning to the side and condesation is building up in the tube. Is this normal? Thanks, Ben:confused:

The little caps keep flying bug from drowning in your water and general debris from falling in.
I use mixed sanitizer but lots of folks use vodka, some just water. It's all fine.
That little line is the water line.
Condensation is normal.

Beer Lover said:
I am using the normal everyday lock you get in the kits and am totall noob at this. Should I leave the cap that goes on top with the small holes in it on or off. How much water, sanitizer, vodka, etc (or whatever you recommend) should I use. Right now I have the top off and filled it to what appears to be the waterline. Itgs been 72 hours and the bubbling has slowed tremendously. One bubble every 2-3 mins. The little bouncing cap with slats in it is leaning to the side and condesation is building up in the tube. Is this normal? Thanks, Ben:confused:
Don't worry. Using an airlock isn't a major thing. When I used my two piece airlock, the same one you're mentioning, I've left the kept on. That'll prevent debris and such to get into the second piece. When you put in your sanitizer, vodka, other alcohol, etc., just fill it up somewhere between "way too full" and "not really enough." If you put too much in, the bubbles from your fermentation will have the chance of pushing the fluid over and into the part that goes directly into your fermenter. While it's not the biggest problem in the world if that happens, I'm personally not a fan of introducing foreign fluids into my wort so I make sure there's "just enough" fluid in there. Btw, don't bother using water. The safe, sure way is to just use some alcohol or sanitizer - personally, I use scotch because it's easier to see the bubbles. : D I hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back