Air lock came loose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
Checked on my American Ale and saw no bubbles in the air lock. Just brewed on Thursday. The rubber washer split and air was escaping. Replaced the washer , sanitized everything. Am I good?
thanks Steve

You are good until you actually find something bad. Just fix the seal and proceed as if nothing happened. If when it's time to bottle it tastes awful, then you can decide if you want to toss it or bottle for your less liked friends.

Good idea, hotbeer: gotta keep that one in mind! ;)

Yeah, Steve50, I'd be surprised if you weren't fine. We've all had our "catastrophes" that turn out to be nothing, and yours sounds pretty minor. I had a BigMouthBubbler spit its lid off, krausen leaking down the side, and didn't discover the problem for who knows how many hours. Ended up as a great beer.

You have a few things going in your favor.
1. Pressure was pushing out, which makes it difficult for beasties to get in
2. Your yeast is active and will likely devour anything that might have tried to take root

Let us know how it goes and happy brewing!

You are good until you actually find something bad. Just fix the seal and proceed as if nothing happened. If when it's time to bottle it tastes awful, then you can decide if you want to toss it or bottle for your less liked friends.
Thanks 👍😂

Back