Air in Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invmgmt

Reaction score
I have a honey wheat in the fermenter for the past 11 days. I wanted to check the gravity so opened the fermenter, checked, and closed it. Question is...should I pump a little CO2 into the fermenter to remove the oxygen that is now on top of my wort where the natural CO2 was?

I know that oxygen is not good for the flavor of the beer and I want to leave it in the primary for another week or so.

What was the gravity reading? Anticipated FG? If it was still working, the yeast will produce natural CO2 and push the O2 out. I would say leave it be.

CO2 is heavier than air so unless you were stirring it up there should have had a layer of CO2 remaining on the beer.

Adding some CO2 will not hurt if you have it but should not be necessary.

khawk95, the gravity reading was 1.006. Estimated FG is 1.006

The beer has a little sour smell when I opened the fermenter. I am hoping that if I leave it in the bucket for an extra week the smell will disapate. I put nearly five pounds of honey in at flameout (10 gal batch). So, I thought that might be contributing to the smell at this stage in the process.

Back