Air in autosiphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemw429

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm a newbie and was feeling really good about my first batch of holiday ale. Was excited to transfer to secondary fermentation carboy today and used my new autosiphon. I did practice a few times with water but as I was doing the beer I thought it seemed as though a lot of air was coming through the tubing. After reading some other posts, I am now convinced that the siphon plunger seal may have leaked. Given all the bad press about oxygen should I consider my first batch ruined? Should I bottle sooner to lessen oxidation? I was planning on letting it go another week in secondary. Thanks for any comments!

Im sure it will be fine, also check where your hose attaches to autosiphon to be sure the connection is tight, you could get leaks there as well.

No worries about the oxygen, I made an airy mess out of my first brew and it came out great still.

On the auto siphon, I like to use little metal c clamps on where the tubing connects to get a good tight seal there, otherwise you get bubbles that can disrupt the vacuum - especially the "climby" ones that keep going up as liquid flows downward. Hope that helps!

Oh this also works for the bottling wand as well.

Cheers

Thanks for assurances that beer will be fine. I do know the tubing is attached tightly. I could tell the bubbles were coming up from bottom of racking cane which is why I suspect the autosiphon plunger gasket.

Just wondering though whether I should bottle sooner (3-5 days) or does it matter if I leave in secondary (7 days or more)?

Thx again!

You can leave it in secondary longer, won't make much of a difference if any. I have had that happen to me and I squeeze the tubing while siphoning slowly until the air stops then release. I have done it a few times and it stopped the air for me.

I don't think it was air. With the autosiphon tip submerged it's unlikely that air was being introduced from a leaking seal. It was more than likely residual carbon dioxide being agitated out of solution as the beer flowed through the autosiphon.

Latest posts

Back