Air compressor QDs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I am looking for a way to make my co2 tank mobile. Currently, I have a 3-way splitter running into my ferm cabinet, but the inlet is a barb so I have to cut the line every time I take my beer out with the jockey box. Are standard air compressor QDs ok to use on beer CO2 lines?

I am looking for a way to make my co2 tank mobile. Currently, I have a 3-way splitter running into my ferm cabinet, but the inlet is a barb so I have to cut the line every time I take my beer out with the jockey box. Are standard air compressor QDs ok to use on beer CO2 lines?

Yes and no. Consider the polysufinate (sic) QD's instead...or flare fittings.

Once passivated (the real brass ones) there is not a health or flavor issue with air line QD's. They just are not designed to be 100% leak free. You will likely waste a metric ton of CO2 over time if you sue them

Would common flare fittings be out of the question?

image_2998.jpg

Would common flare fittings be out of the question?

I have plenty of those, but what I need is a nipple the will go between two of them. Lowe's has a 1/8 nipple that looks like it would work, but it's NPT and the flare fitting isn't. Any idea where to get a nipple with the thread that will fit the flare fitting you showed?

Yes and no. Consider the polysufinate (sic) QD's instead...or flare fittings.

Once passivated (the real brass ones) there is not a health or flavor issue with air line QD's. They just are not designed to be 100% leak free. You will likely waste a metric ton of CO2 over time if you sue them

I tried these for a while. Used the silver ish looking qds. I think they are aluminum or plated brass. Hard to tell. Got then at home depot. They definitely worked well when they were brand new. After a year in the humidity of my keezer they tarnished and oxidized then leaked like a sieve.

I migrated to stainless flair fittings. Barbed to FP female on the input side and male FP to male npt on the gas distributor side. Not as quick to switch as the qd. But still quick enough and I don't lose entire bottles of co2 any more.

Latest posts

Back