AHS Steamroller Stout - splitting 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhodgson0739

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I brewed the AHS Steamroller partial mash recipe last weekend and it's bubbling in primary. I'd really like to split the batch to make 1/3 to half of it into a coffee/bourbon stout... but not sure of the best method to do so... initially I thought I'd get a couple of 3 gallon carboys and rack half into one carboy to bottle straight and rack the other half onto some bourbon soaked beans for a couple of weeks. I'd kind of rather not rack to secondary if I didn't have to for obvious reasons... so I thought alternatively I could bottle half straight from the primary and then for the last half of the bottles add a couple espresso shots straight to the bottling bucket and maybe just pour some bourbon in with it? Any advice from those who have done something similar?

Thanks!

Brad

I brewed the same thing about 3 weeks ago (but I added a packet of Belgian Cocoa, a 1% boost, and 8 oz. of lactose) and intend to split half of it to add some mint extract. What I plan on doing is racking the mint half to a 3 gallon carboy and rack the rest to a bottling bucket.

You're going to want to use a carboy for the coffee beans and bourbon to give the flavors a chance to meld. :)

Hey TzeentchPlayer,

Yea, I think you're right... sounds like the initial plan is still the best. Thanks! Ching ching!

Brad

Although, makes much more sense to just rack into a 3 gallon for the beans/bourbon and then finish in the bottling bucket for the rest. Thanks!

Back