AHS Session Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
AHS had this kit on sale so I figured why not and picked one up. I haven't done a kit in a while, but IIRC AHS's kit instructions are pretty vague. Was wondering at what temp you all would mash this one at, I was thinking 154+. Shooting for a 1.013 FG with a 1.052 OG. Will a higher mash temp (154+) keep my FG a little higher? Pretty much all my beers end up at 1.010 FG. But I typically mash at 150-152. I recently made a northern brown that I mashed at 152 and used WLP005 and ended up with a 1.011 FG. Was shooting for 1.014. Here is the description.

This beer has a great caramel flavor and a nice malty mouthfeel. It will go down fast. The recipe is similar to an Oktoberfest, but uses German ale yeast. Since it is an ale it will be ready faster!

And here is the recipe. I'll be using WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast for the first time as well. Any recommendations on fermentation temperature with this yeast and the below grain bill? Any other insight on this particular yeast?

4# 2-row
5# Munich Malt
8oz English Crystal
8oz Carmunich Malt
8oz Caravienne Malt
1oz Glacier 60min
1/2oz Mt. Hood 15min
1/2oz Mt. Hood 5min

Back