AHS Sale in Virginia!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
Finally the sale comes to VA!

So, I'm looking at getting a larger brew pot - can't spend as much as the deluxe Boilermakers. But, I am looking at the super brew pots: Austin Homebrew Supply which I could drill and outfit as I see fit as I get further.

But I can't decide - should I get the 40qt or the 60qt? I am looking to get into all grain and doing full boils. But I've read that at some point everyone likes to get into 10gallon batches.

So what to get? Can a 60qt do the smaller 5 gallon batches without issue?

Thanks in advance.

As you said, at some point, most people decide to do 10 gallon batches. Remember that you'll generally save money buying in bulk, so brewing 1 10 gallon batch is going to be cheaper than brewing 2 5 gallons batches to get the same amount of finished product.

I don't see any real reason why a 60 qt pot couldn't be used to do 5 gallon batches. Assuming you have a strong burner that can get that pot nice and hot, it should work fine. Just be careful to stir regularly to avoid hot/cold spots.

Edited: 60 qt SS pot... I'm so jealous right now. :p

The 60 quart has been order along with a mini-mash of their West Coast Pale.

So excited! Thanks for the feedback!

The 60 quart has been order along with a mini-mash of their West Coast Pale.

So excited! Thanks for the feedback!

I ordered the 40qt. Megapot the other day from AHS. The only problem is that I did not measure my stove and account for the large size of the pot.

My stove has raised edges on each side of the stove so I won't be able to use the stove in all likelihood. :(. There is a slim chance that I will be able to make it work using the front and back burner. If that doesn't work I may have to go to using a propane burner outside.

Sometimes I wish I would think before I acted.

Back