AHS DogfishHead 60 Clone Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
Just cracked the keg for the 1st time this evening on the partial mash version of this clone.

A bit green still, 3 weeks primary, 10 days secondary for the dry hopping, and 10 days in the keg. A bit cloudy still (no irish moss, but used gelatin) and a spec short of true full dissolved carbonation, but the citris flavor in the hops is shining thru very well. No off flavors to be noted at all.

It may actually be a DFH 68 or so :) , as I did throw in the 2x extra 1/4 oz of hops that came with the kit.

2 IPA drinkers were with me to do the sampling, and everyone approved.

We will be doing double batches of this very soon....

I have this one sitting in primary right now. What yeast did you use? I went with WLP002. So far everything seems to be going good, smells amazing.

I used the WLP002.

I did vary the recipe slightly by the addition of the "free" 1/2 oz of hop and about a 50/50 early/late extract addition. With these 2 factors, my color was a little light vs the bottle and the citrus was a spec stronger than the bottle. All in all not a bad clone.

If I was handed a bottle of this and asked to ID it as any commerical IPA, I would have come up with DFH60, so it was close enough to fool me.

If it lasts another 2 weeks, I will snap some photos.

Some photos ...

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

Looks good! Mine is still in the primary. Hoping to dry hop this weekend and bottle in a week.

What did yours finish at? I checked mine today and it is at 1.019 after 3 weeks. Wondering if its done or if I should give it more time.

Almost 3 weeks later..... Sipping a couple before I go out for TX BBQ at the County Line (on the lake vs the hill). This is now officially the best beer that I have EVER brewed. It is damn near perfect.

Thanks Austin Homebrew Supply. Once I finish drinking all the kits I bought during your sale, I will be back to get more of this... May have to do a quadruple batch, as all my friends want a keg.

Back