AHS Black IPA question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
Anyone ever had a black IPA? What's the difference in flavor? I know it uses debitterd grains so I'm guessing it's an IPA that's dark in color, am I correct?

You typically get some roasted flavors as well. There are plenty of commercial examples to try, just go pick one up.

I did the NB black IPA kit a couple months ago. It was one of those batches where everything seems to go wrong. First yeast pouch never got going and had to get another one, issues with the stove and couldn't get a good boil, dropped a bag of hops on the floor after opening, and racked to secondary early because I wanted my primary back for another beer. Still came out as a pretty tasty beverage. Probably not what it was meant to taste like, but still good. I will brew it again just to try and do it the way it was supposed to be done.

Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous is my favorite commerical. Deschutes Hop in the Dark is also good. Can't remember if either is seasonal but I bought both here in town. I haven't tried Dogfish Brown IPA yet but I saw it last night at Argonaut so I know it's out.

I haven't brewed AHS kit's version but a buddy of mine has and really liked it. I've had great success with their kits so I don't doubt it's good.

I have a Black IPA extract recipe which I really like but doesn't quite match the flavors of the above-mentioned but is close. It tastes like a combo of 1554 meets IPA: Hoppy flavor, aroma, and bitterness with the roasted maltiness. It's easily my favorite, but I am partial, lol.

Back