Ahhh mistakes a love hate relationship

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberg440

Reaction score
Long story short, got a stuck IPA (OG 1.071~Current gravity 1.020) but didn't realize it until it was kegged and carbed. Had to leave it in the keg for a couple weeks because of work, school and various reasons.

So today I kegged a wheat which freed up a yeast cake of WLP400 (awesome yeast btw). I decided to dump the IPA on here, stir the crap out of it trying to get some Oxygen in it. Who knows with a little luck maybe I'll be turning out something similar to New Belgium's Belgo IPA? ;)

Anyone ever been in this situation of trying to get the gravity down of a carbed beer using an unconventional yeast cake?

Also, I will soon be investing in a stir plate and some 5000mL flasks.

I think oxygenating that beer was a bad choice. How do you know it wasn't finished?

I have come to learn that once you pitch the yeast, temp control aside, there is really nothing you can do, that wont happen naturally. My motto is this:

If you THINK, you need to do something, because, you THINK something is wrong. Ignore you instincts, and let it do what it is going to do!!!!!

thanks for the advice guys! I'll be checking it often to see if I can get it to drop a few more points. It was use a little too sweet, which led me to believe it wasn't finished and stuck. I guess lesson learned if she goes south. But i'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Just got home and seems to be decent airlock activity. Who knows maybe my meddling didn't mess er' up! :drunk:

Just got home and seems to be decent airlock activity. Who knows maybe my meddling didn't mess er' up! :drunk:

Airlock activity means nothing. It could just be CO2 bubbling out of solution because of moving the beer. Check the gravity with a hydrometer again.

You said the beer was already carbed, so the airlock is likely bubbling due to the carbon dioxide coming out of suspension..

Just an update, the gravity dropped down to 1.012 as of tonight, it lost its sweetness (obviously), and tasted great. I'll double check it tomorrow, than back to the keg. :ban:

Latest posts

Back