AHHH infection in my starter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattne421

Reaction score
pitched about 5 hours ago
sorry for the poor quality

WP_000020.jpg

bad picture but i doubt you have an infection in a 5hr old starter. looks like bubbles.

it almost looks like the white clumps that i often see in infection photos. ill try to get a better picture

this is the first time ive ever made a starter so i may just be paranoid. tomorrow is brew day so if it looks worse tomorrow morning ill run out early and pick up a couple vials and just pitch them straight.

I feel you! The first time is always nerve-wracking! If you're familiar with the yeast strain, I'd just take a sniff to see if it smells off. If not, you're likely good to go! Good luck!

Ya I think its the beginning of a krausen forming. Also, I've had better results making my starter 3-4 days before the brew day. and cold crashing 24 hours before pitching and decanting the wort on top..however..thats all very debatable.

this is the first time ive ever made a starter so i may just be paranoid. tomorrow is brew day so if it looks worse tomorrow morning ill run out early and pick up a couple vials and just pitch them straight.

may be? i'd say you definitely are. that looks like the beginnings of many fermentations. it's yeast that have become active, waiting for the rest of their kind to join them in the party in your starter.

RDWHAHB :mug:

Latest posts

Back