AHB - Miami Weiss - WHOA.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
I followed the instructions and from my notes didn't have anything go wrong. I had to toss a previous batch of this b/c my spigot cracked and left me with about a gallon left (the rest on the floor). But the color of what I tossed smelt and looked great.

I added the alcohol boost packet to it and used the Wyeast recommented vial. It bubbled alongside a Blonde I did that day and I just kegged, carbed and drank that one. I then kegged this Weiss.

It did sit in the primary for about six weeks, which I thought shouldn't be a problem. When I cracked the bucket lid to begin the siphon process in to the keg I stuck my big fat head in there it almost burned my eyes and the smell of alcohol was overwhelming....like a tart vodka smell.

I have put it in the keg to carb but it has this overwhelming alcohol / yeast taste and smell.

The color, cloudiness and everything looks great, but something may have gone wrong.

Any thoughts?

~Diz

what was the gravity? My best guess is you really upped the ABV by adding that booster crap. A lot of high gravity beers need time for the alcohol to settle into the beer. May just need some time

Are you sure it wasn't the CO2 in the bucket that burned your eyes and gave you a sensation of high alcohol? Did you taste the hydrometer sample before kegging? I'm guessing your beer is fine and you're just picking up the odors from the fermentation process.

Back