Aging Utopia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgregg

Reaction score
Somehow my wife wound up pregnant and we are expecting out first child(She doesn't want to know the gender before it's born) on New Years Day. I'm thinking of trying to find a bottle of Utopia to buy before then and saving it for 16-18 years or so until my son(I'm sure it's a boy) or daughter(my crazy wife's idea) is old enough to share it with me.
Does anyone know if an unopened bottle of Utopia will still be drinkable after that long? I'm assuming that because of the high abv it will age better then most other beers, but 18 years is a long time. I doubt anyone has any experience with aging a beer this long, but I'm just looking for a little reassurance before dropping the $250 on a bottle of it.

They reblend Utopia each year, so parts of it are already 16+ years old. The high abv also helps it hold for awhile.

After receiving an email from Sam Adams saying that Utopia should hold up for as long as I want it to I came across a bottle at a local beer store and bought it for $250.
Now I'm hoping for 3 things:
1-It holds up to 16+years of additional aging
2-I don't have a weak moment and crack it open before I'm ready to share it with my child
3-My kid doesn't turn into a mich ultra/smirnoff ice/not your fathers rootbeer/wine drinker.

Historically the English aristocracy would have a batch of strong ale brewed and barrel-aged for a son's 21st birthday; you'll be good.

Latest posts

Back