Aging Sour Ale Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whatsgoodmiley

Reaction score
I have a bottle of JK Atrial Rubicite that has been aging for about 7 months at 65-75F. Just got to thinking, is this too hot? If so, should I just cave and drink it now? I'd like to save it for the anniversary but if it is at risk of having turned a little, I'd like to drink it before then. It's a 5% ABV sour ale for those who don't know it.

Thanks!

I have a bottle of JK Atrial Rubicite that has been aging for about 7 months at 65-75F. Just got to thinking, is this too hot? If so, should I just cave and drink it now? I'd like to save it for the anniversary but if it is at risk of having turned a little, I'd like to drink it before then. It's a 5% ABV sour ale for those who don't know it.

Thanks!

I age my sours at cellar temperature ~12C or ~55F. If you are worried you can put the bottle in the refrigerator now and its content should stay the same until your anniversary.

Cheers!

Thanks for the constructive reply doomy86. I threw it in the fridge where it will stay until August!

Best stored cool, but it really doesn't matter. Probably fridge temp is the worst to store it. At fridge temps, the bugs go dormant, so they don't continue to work and add complexity to the beer.

50 F to 65 F is probably the range, but don't worry about higher temps.

The bugs will continue to add complexity for a few years.

I'm can't remember the brewery, but the European regs require a sell/use by date on all products; so they date their sours 20 years from the production date.

Back