Aging mead in growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddieb33

Reaction score
I have a small batch of mead that's just about done fermenting. I'm wondering if I can let it age in a growler I have. I know growlers don't hold carbonation in beer for long with just the plastic screw-on top, so I'm guessing they aren't really air-tight. This makes me think it's an oxidization risk. But is there maybe a simple way to make it air-tight? A couple wine bottles and corks might be better, but the growler is just the perfect size.

i would be concerned that the tape won't make a good seal. and with time, tape can dry out.

This is true and i can't give any experience to the contrary. Though the tape conforms well to the bottles we use.

Wax is definitely a more elegant solution. I was just throwing out another option.

The issues related to storing beer dispensed from a keg in a grower aren't necessarily faults of the grower and are related to how the grower is filled. They can be made to seal quite well with either good quality metal caps that have an integral gasket or the 38mm Polyseal brand plastic caps. It should be noted that while there are anecdotes of successfully bottle conditioning (carbonating with yeast) in growers there seems to be a bit of conscientious that this is risking bottle bombs.

Since growler fills aren't typically done with a counter-pressure bottle filler in to CO2 purged grower at low temperatures the beer is somewhat oxidized during the filling process. Furthermore CO2 comes out of solution to reach an equilibrium with the air in the head-space resulting in less carbonated beer. This is why growlers aren't good for long term storage of beer dispensed from a keg [edit] but are probably fine for still mead.

The issues related to storing beer dispensed from a keg in a grower aren't necessarily faults of the grower and are related to how the grower is filled. They can be made to seal quite well with either good quality metal caps that have an integral gasket or the 38mm Polyseal brand plastic caps. It should be noted that while there are anecdotes of successfully bottle conditioning (carbonating with yeast) in growers there seems to be a bit of conscientious that this is risking bottle bombs.

Since growler fills aren't typically done with a counter-pressure bottle filler in to CO2 purged grower at low temperatures the beer is somewhat oxidized during the filling process. Furthermore CO2 comes out of solution to reach an equilibrium with the air in the head-space resulting in less carbonated beer. This is why growlers aren't good for long term storage of beer dispensed from a keg.

Yes, but the OP is asking about aging MEAD, which is usually still. Different scenario from aging beer. If the OP minimizes the headspace and keeps it at a steady temp, I don't see any issues with aging it in a growler with an airlock on it. After all, a growler is basically just a 1/2 gallon jug :p

I oaked a small portion of my barleywine batch in a growler (sat there 10 weeks). I also just used a rubber stopper that fits my 1 gallon glass jugs. No issues at all, it worked great!

Back