Aging in WF gallon jugs w/out preservatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a lot of Whole Foods apple juice (comes out really well). I often ferment as dry as possible using champagne yeast. Now I have a bunch of 1 gallon glass jugs that I would like to take advantage of somehow. I'm thinking about doing a long secondary fermentation (6 months) in corny, raising temp to 75-ish for a few days to make sure the keg doesn't re-ferment, carbonating, and then transferring to glass jugs to be stored at about 60 degrees (F) for another 6 months to multiple years. I don't like using preservatives. Do you think there's a notable bottle bomb risk in this scenario? I assumed that going completely dry, the long secondary, and the "fermentation test" before bottling would cover me even though those jugs aren't designed to hold pressure. Also wondering if this can be done with a semi-dry cider. Thanks guys

Last edited:
This is a bit "left field" but if your jugs have a screw cap, consider fitting a cheap pressure gauge (around $20 on eBay) to one of the caps.

I have done this with a Grolsch cap to monitor a batch of cider that I heat pasteurised, just to satisfy myself that fermentation was not continuing and producing potential bottle bombs. The pressure has remained around 2 atm (30psi) for over a month now.

I even used the gauge to monitor pressure buildup from bottling (at 1.009) to pasteurising (at 1.004) as a proxy for change in SG (1 atm or 15psi represents about 0.002 change in SG). The carbonation ended up "just right".

It is interesting to note how the pressure changes up and down as the CO2 is absorbed or expelled from the cider as the temperature changes. Today it is about 8C in the store room so the pressure is down a bit at 1.7atm. When it is warmer, the pressure goes back up to 2 atm. FYI when pasteurising at 65C with a starting carbonation of 2 atm, the pressure got up to 6 atm (90psi) which is getting close to the generally accepted "bottle bomb" limit of 100psi for standard beer bottles.

IMG_0175.JPG

Do you have a picture of the side of the cap which is into the bottle? Just to see how you attach the gauge on the cap. Mine is having a little lack so it's actually useless.

This is a bit "left field" but if your jugs have a screw cap, consider fitting a cheap pressure gauge (around $20 on eBay) to one of the caps.

I have done this with a Grolsch cap to monitor a batch of cider that I heat pasteurised, just to satisfy myself that fermentation was not continuing and producing potential bottle bombs. The pressure has remained around 2 atm (30psi) for over a month now.

I even used the gauge to monitor pressure buildup from bottling (at 1.009) to pasteurising (at 1.004) as a proxy for change in SG (1 atm or 15psi represents about 0.002 change in SG). The carbonation ended up "just right".

It is interesting to note how the pressure changes up and down as the CO2 is absorbed or expelled from the cider as the temperature changes. Today it is about 8C in the store room so the pressure is down a bit at 1.7atm. When it is warmer, the pressure goes back up to 2 atm. FYI when pasteurising at 65C with a starting carbonation of 2 atm, the pressure got up to 6 atm (90psi) which is getting close to the generally accepted "bottle bomb" limit of 100psi for standard beer bottles.

The pressure rating for a 1 gallon jug made for apple juice must be much lower than a beer bottle. I'm very hesitant to try it the more I think about it and after you reminded of all the factors involved in the psi. If I could cap them all with something that would hold pressure but break before the bottle does then that would be optimal. Some retrofitted spunding valve is not economical for gallon jugs. I'm tempted to put a latex balloon over the top and hold it in place with duct tape or rubber bands. According to this video, a balloon will hold about 15psi and I think stabilized cider that is properly carbonated is 8-12psi

I have attached a photo as requested, but there is a bit more to the story. A simple plastic soda bottle with a screw on cap with some of your cider would let you know if the pressure reached something like 2 atm (30psi) which is around the level that most soda is carbonated to. At this level of carbonation, the bottle is quite hard, however at twice this level it is also quite hard so it is difficult to assess the pressure by squeezing once it is over 2 atm.

Using Jolicoeur's Table 15.3 as a guide, Perlant carbonation (a bit spritzig) is about 1 atm (15psi) so the baloon could probably burst around this point if indeed enough CO2 was generated to fill it. The most common carbonation is Petillant (typical of beer) at 1.5-2.8 atm or up to about 40psi (a bit scary since most vehicle tyres are inflated to 25psi or above!). The point of this is that a balloon might not be a reliable indicator of what is happening.

Hence, the idea of a pressure gauge to tell you exactly what is happening so that you can release the pressure if it gets too high. I am assuming that when you referred to a semi-dry cider you will be looking at stopping fermentation before "completely dry" which is 1.000 or below. The issue with stopping fermentation (heat pasteurising, cold crashing, chemical, or whatever) is knowing that fermentation has indeed been stopped rather than just trickling along into bottle bomb territory.

Anyhow... back to the gauge. In my first version I had just put the gauge stem through the screw cap of a soda bottle and held in place with a nut. This worked O.K. but did leak a bit through the soft rubber washers that I used, so the indicated pressure never went above 4 atm and at this pressure, the bottom of the bottle bulged out so it wouldn't stand up. This was all happening in my first heat pasteurisation attempt, so as we say here in Oz, "I was busier than a one armed paper hanger" trying to retrieve the capsized bottle from the hot water while the temperature and pressure continued to go up, until BOOM!

If you do decide to use the gauge in one of your jug caps, firm (fibre or metal) washers with something like epoxy, silicon or food grade thread sealant under them and on the thread, should avoid the type of leakage issues that I had with soft rubber washers.

Most gauges come with a National Pipe Thread (NPT) so fittings should be easy to get. Some gauges can come with British Standard Pipe (BSP) thread so you need to make sure that you get the appropriate fittings.

The Grolsch version in the picture is a bit more complicated, using a fitting screwed into the hard plastic cap and the gauge screwed into this. (I used a Grolsch bottle because they are quite strong so there is a good margin of safety). This approach is a bit more fiddly to make than the simple screw on cap version but it isn't all that hard to do. There is a bit over 1/4" of "meat" between the side of the Grolsch cap and the hole that takes the bail wire, so the gauge stem (or an adaptor if the stem is larger than 1/4" dia) needs to fit into this space. I made an adaptor from a 1/4" screw that was soldered (you could use epoxy) into a NPT female fitting that the gauge screwed into. The screw is brass (easier to drill than steel and it doesn't rust or contaminate the cider).

The screw had a 1/16" hole drilled down the middle. A 3/16"" hole was drilled part way into the Grolsch cap and tapped to suit the thread size. Another 1/16" hole was drilled from the bottom of the tapped hole through to the bottom of the cap in order to make a gas path from the inside of the bottle to the gauge. As above, seal all the threaded parts with teflon gas pipe sealing tape or thread sealant.

IMG_0182.JPG

Latest posts

Back